15. An Impressive Set of Canine Teeth

Cole

One second Percy was next to me, the next he was gone, and the only clue I had as to where he had gone were the screams now coming from behind me.

I slowly turned round and gaped at what I saw. In just a few seconds the whole room seemed to be full of brawling bodies. I saw fists flying, and heard glass smashing, and everywhere I looked I could see bruises and cuts appearing on people's faces.

I wanted to run. I needed to run. But something kept me rooted to the spot. I needed to know that Natalie and Percy were alright.

I couldn't see either of them in the chaos in front of me, but I knew I would have to move if I wanted to find them.

Slowly I edged my way into the mass of bodies. Ducking a flying chair and leaping over a pair wrestling on the floor, I eventually spotted Natalie cowering behind an armchair.

I quickly dove behind the chair next to her.

"Come one, we need to get out of here," I said.

I turned to look at Natalie and I could see the tears beginning to fall down her face.

"I'm sorry Cole," she said, as she began to sob.

"It's alright," I said, putting my arm around her. "Come on, let's make a run for it."

I pulled her up, then ran for the nearest door, which was the paito door, that led into the back garden.

"See if you can get round to the front, and meet me at the end of the road," I said, before turning to go back inside.

"Wait, where are you going?" Natalie asked, staring at me with wide eyes.

"I'm going to check that Percy's alright," I said, running back inside before she could try to change my mind.

I quickly scanned the room, and saw Percy punching and kicking as a group of around 4 or 5 guys ganged up on him.

He was holding his own well, but I knew it would only be a matter of time.

I reached for my phone in my pocket. Should I call the police?

No, that was a bad idea. My dad was bound to find out.

Then an idea suddenly hit me.

I scrolled through my contacts until I found his name.

I wasn't comfortable with ringing so I sent a quick text.

To Nathan : Quick please, I need your help. 102 Beech Drive. Cole.

I put my phone back in my pocket.

What if he wasn't near his phone? What if he was but ignored it? What made me think he would come for me anyway? Maybe I should have said Percy was in trouble.

I debated on whether I should send another text when I saw that they had managed to apprehend Percy. Each of his four limbs was being held by a different guy, and even then I could see that they were having trouble keeping him still.

I watched as the redhead started pacing back and forth in front of Percy. Clearly taunting him.

Shit, I needed to do something.

I watched as Aaron picked up a beer bottle and smashed it against a table, brandishing the now jagged glass like a weapon.

I felt my stomach churning at the thought of what could happen. I swallowed, willing the contents of my stomach to stay where it was.