Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The sight of my house brought fresh tears to my eyes. I wanted to go in so badly, but something was holding me back. I turned away from my old home and looked towards Lucifer, willing my tears to go away. I didn’t need to cry in front of him. He didn’t say anything, just reached out and squeezed my shoulder, as if trying to comfort me.

I offered him a small smile and we decided to just take a walk. We walked on for almost an hour before he spoke.

“You don’t need to keep your emotions bottled up, you know? I mean, sure, if we were in Hell, but not here, not now.” He spoke in a soft tone, almost as if he was scared to scare me off.

I looked around me, trying to get my bearings. A fresh wave of emotion went through me when I realized we were at the park. Without turning towards Lucifer, I walked towards the swings, expecting him to follow me.

I looked at him, and it shocked me how much he looked like a normal teenager – if you don’t notice his red eyes, that is. Without realizing it, the words came tumbling out of me.

“I didn’t have that many friends here. We moved when I was around eight and I was too scared to make any new friends. I – I was pretty much a loner for the first year and I didn’t really mind. My parents were worried about me, but I don’t know…  I guess I never had the courage to socialize.” I took a deep breath, and let the tears come to my eyes. But with the tears, came a fresh wave of happiness – happiness from the memories.

Lucifer wasn’t looking at me; he was looking off in the distance, but I knew he was listening.

“In my next year here, I was the target for most bullies. One of the days though, Zeek and Cindy stepped in. They knew each other since kindergarten and were quite popular. They helped me out and scared all the bullies away. Since then, I’ve always been with them… In high school, we met Bryon, Aaron, and Annabeth. We were all pretty close and always helped each other out.” I smiled through my tears.

The memories were overwhelming, but sweet. I remembered how Zeek and Cindy finally got together last year and we all snagged a picture of their kiss.  Bryon and Annabeth were dating when we first met them and they always hinted that Aaron, cute and shy, had a thing for me. I guess I would never find out…

I looked at Lucifer only to find him looking at me with a funny expression. It was somewhere between an expression of sympathy and awe.

I shook my head at him. “I don’t want your sympathy, Lucifer; I just want to kick Satan off his high and mighty throne.” I spoke with a snarl in my voice.

Lucifer’s expression went blank once more and I didn’t know what to make of it. I pulled down my walls and decided to have a little fun with him.

You’re too serious! I projected internally.

I watched in amusement as his blank expression dissolved into one of confusion, and then frustration. He snorted at me, “I’m perfectly fine, thank you very much!”

“Oh yeah?” I taunted. A wide smile spread out on my face as my brick wall came back up. Lucifer looked at me as if frightened of my now hidden thoughts. I jumped from my seat, poked him hard and screamed, “Tag, you’re it!” I ran off and in a couple of seconds, I heard footsteps following me.

I was laughing my head off as I ran out into the dark. I was safe from being spotted or from embarrassing myself because we were apparently invisible to the world. However, that didn’t mean we were intangible.

I accidently bumped into a couple random people on the street who had spooked expressions on their face. For some reason, I didn’t care. I was having more fun than I’d had since I was dead. I looked back to see a grinning Lucifer gaining on me. I yelped and picked up on my speed.