Chapter 37

“You what?!” I yelled to Heather through the phone.

“I’m sorry, everything after prom last week just happened so quickly…” Heather said.

“So you decide to wait a whole week to tell me you had sex with my boyfriends best friend in the back of a limo?” I shrieked.

“Ok it wasn’t technically sex,” Heather said, trying to explain her situation.

“ Oh my god please stop, I do not want to hear the details,” I said, shaking my head.

“Are you going to tell Luke?” Heather said nervously.

“I’m just going to assume that Ashton told him, but if he didn’t I wont say anything,” I said.

“Good, I don’t need Luke to know this…” she said.

“I’m going to go Heather, have fun with Ashton,” I said with a laugh.

“Shut up!” she yelled just as I hung up the phone.

☆ ☆ ☆

“So, today's the big day,” Luke said to me in physics class the next Monday,

“Ugh don’t remind me,” I replied, slumping back in my chair.

“Come on get pumped, it’s not everyday you get college apps back!” he said excitedly.

“What if I didn’t get in anywhere,” I said slowly.

“Oh come on, you’re the great Zoey Banks! There is nothing, not even getting into college, that Zoey cannot do,” he said, placing his hand on mine.

“I doubt that…” I said, looking away from him.

“Babe, you’re being ridiculous,” he said with a slight laugh.

“It’s fine if I don’t get in though, I can always work at McDonalds, the most romantic and satisfying place on Earth,” I said, faking a laugh.

I was trying to come across as calm and carefree to Luke, but I was actually terrified. What if I actually didn’t get into college? I’m going to end up being a high school loser who works at a drive through for the rest of their lives and lives in their parents basement… I really do not want to live in my parents basement.

“I’ll be there with you when you open them after school, so that we can celebrate together,” Luke said, smiling at me.

“Or for moral support and comfort if I don’t get in,” I replied.

“That too, but only if necessary,” he said with a wink.

☆ ☆ ☆

I walked into my house with Luke’s hand in mine and Holden trailing behind us. We were luckily alone, since my dad had to go to Boston for a business trip and my mother was at spin class. The mail was sitting on the kitchen counter, my future placed in a small pile. 

“You ready?” Luke asked, rubbing the small of my back.

“I guess,” I said, pulling out the first letter.

The first letter was from Santa Clara, which Luke had convinced me to apply to since it was only 14 miles from Stanford. I ripped open the letter and sighed when I read the first few lines.

“I’ve been wait-listed…” I said, turning to Luke.

“Alright that’s fine, you still might have a chance to get in. What about the others?” Luke asked.

I opened the next one, which was from The Art Institute of California Sunnyvale, which was again a Luke recommendation. This college was only ten miles from Stanford, which made Luke very excited.

“Wait-listed again,” I sighed, setting the letter down.

Tears started to form in my eyes as I picked up the next letter.

“Babe, please don’t cry this isn’t that big of a deal,” he said, running his hands up and down my arms.

“Sorry,” I said, whipping a tear from my eye as I opened the next letter.

“I got in to the University of Michigan…” I said slowly. 

“Hey that’s great,” he said, trying to look excited.

“Okay we both know that I don’t want to go there,” I said, laughing slightly. 

“Well then open the next one,” he said gesturing to the last letter.

“I didn’t get in…I didn’t get in to University of San Fransisco,” I said sadly, setting down the last letter.

Tears started streaming down my face and I leant against the counter, placing my head in my hands.

“Babe, what’s wrong? You got into University of Michigan that’s amazing,” Luke said, walking towards me and placing his arms around my waist.

“I-I just wanted to get out of Michigan so badly and now I’m stuck here for four more years,” I said, choking slightly through my tears.

“Zoey listen to me, if you want to get out so badly you can. No one is forcing you to stay here,” he said, placing a small kiss on my forehead.

“I know,” I sobbed slightly, clutching his shirt slightly.

“You’re going to be okay Zoey, I promise,” Luke said, clutching me tighter.

“What am I going to do Luke,” I said, pulling back and looking at him.

“Do whatever you want Zoey it’s all up to you. If you want to stay here you can, if you don’t you can leave,” he said seriously.

“Thank you Luke. I love you so much,” I said, wiping the wetness from my eyes.

“I love you too,” he said, placing his lips on mine, comforting me when I needed it most.

a.n///

sry this was lame, but my camp just ended so i can write more so yay for that.

pls vote and comment i would love you 5ever