Chapter 11

I shifted on Luke’s couch, throwing my legs onto his coffee table.

“Luuuuuke,” I whined, lolling my head to the side to look at Luke.

Luke’s eyebrows were furrowed as he read the textbook, and he had his bottom lip in his teeth. I stared at his lips, imagining what they would be like on mine. I shook my head.

“Snap out of it,” I thought to my self, shutting my eyes. Two weeks had passed since the almost kiss incident, and we had both just acted like nothing happened. Except I, of course, had seemed to have developed some weird obsession with his lips, and his eyes, and his hair for that matter.

“Zoey are you even awake?” Luke asked, tapping my shoulder.

“Yeah, why?” I said, opening one eye and looking at him.

“Well I’ve been trying to talk to you for the last few minutes and you were just sitting silently with your eyes closed. Silence for you isn’t normal,” Luke said with a laugh.

“Yeah sorry, I’ve just had a lot on my mind…” I said, sitting up straighter.

“Have you been having any issues with Evan?” Luke asked seriously, locking eyes with me.

I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

“He has just been hanging out with my brother at our house a lot. It’s like he’s doing it just to bother me. Its come to the point were I have to sneak into the house so that my mother doesn’t make me have dinner with him,” I said, shaking my head in disgust.

“That’s rough,” Luke said standing from the couch.

“Yeah no shit,” I replied, giving Luke a confused look. He was just standing awkwardly in front of me, an excited look on his face.

“One minute,” Luke said to me, running to his I-phone speaker across the room. He plugged in his phone, turning on Num. 1 Party Anthem by the Arctic Monkeys.

Luke then walked back over to me, extending his hand.

“Miss Zoey Banks, may I have this dance,” he said, smiling.

I laughed, grabbing his hand. “Mr. Luke Hemmings, you may.”

I stood from the couch, wrapping my arms around Luke’s neck. Luke snaked his arms around my waist, and I placed my head on his chest. We swayed slowly to the music, holding each other tight. I closed my eyes and smiled, smelling Luke. He smelled like himself, a wonderful mixture of rain and grass. In Luke’s arms, I felt as if we were in our own little world, he just felt so comfortable.

All to quickly, the song ended and we stopped swaying. Luke pulled back as I lifted my head from my chest. He still had me in my arms as we looked at each other, a small smile tugging at my lips.

“I don’t know what inspired that, but thanks,” I said.

“I just thought it would cheer you up a bit,” Luke said shrugging his shoulders.

We stood silently and watched each other, gaging each other’s movements.

“We should watch a movie or something,” Luke mumbled, removing his arms from my waist.

“Oh ok, yeah sure,” I said as I pulled my arms away from his neck.

I went to his TV, looking at his sparse collection of movies.

“Really you’ve never seen The Breakfast Club yet you own all of the Step Up movies?” I laughed, grabbing the box to one.

“Their fun for the whole family,” Luke responded.

“Uh-huh sure,” I said as I put the DVD on.

I returned to the couch where Luke was sitting. I sat on the opposite side of him, tucking my legs under me.

The movie had only been on for five minutes but I began shivering. It was November in Michigan; it was starting to get really cold.

“Come here,” Luke said softly, motioning for me to come sit near him.

I shifted over to him our shoulders touching. After a few minutes, I laid my head on his shoulder.

Luke turned his head to look at me and smiled. I smiled back, and retuned my focus to the movie.  

☆ ☆ ☆

Luke’s POV

As the credits rolled on the screen, I looked at Zoey, who now had her head in my lap. Her eyes were shut and it was obvious she had fallen asleep.

“Every time,” I mumbled to my self.

I began to slowly wiggle my self out from under her head, trying to be as soft as I could so I didn’t wake her up.

Once I got free I stood from the couch and looked at her. Her hair was falling in her face, and she was curled into a small ball. She was obviously freezing.

I walked to my room and grabbed a blanket from my bed, returning to the living room.

I laid the soft wool blanket on her body, tucking it in near her face.

“Good night Zoey,” I whispered, turning to return to my room.

Once I reached the doorway I looked back once more, looking at her small frame buried in the blankets. I scurried back over to her quietly, crouching on the ground near her. I kissed her softly on her cheek, then sprang up and darted to my room, hoping she didn’t wake up.