Chapter 19

The door slammed shut as Holden walked in, running his hand through his hair. Luke had left a few minutes ago; he wanted to get home before his dad so that he didn’t ask any questions. According to Luke, his dad always says, “Guys who are going to go to Stanford don’t get into fights.”

“Zoey, can you please tell me why my best friend was beating up that Hemmings guy,” Holden asked, dropping his bag on the floor.

“Its kind of a long story,” I sighed, crossing my arms.

“Well, I have plenty of time,” he said, sitting down on the couch.

I told him everything. Every awful detail of the night at the party, everything about Luke and I. After I told him, I held my breath as I looked at my brother, trying to gauge his emotions. His eyebrows were tightly furrowed and his was turning bright red.

“Well,” I breathed, my hands starting to sweat with nerves.

“Fuck Zoey, why didn’t you tell me?” my brother asked, his eyes glazing over.

Tears started to form in my eyes; I should have never hid this. Holden was my best friend first and brother second. We made a pact when I was eight that we would tell each other everything, no matter how awkward. I was stupid and broke the pact, if I hadn’t Luke probably wouldn’t have gotten hurt today.

“I just didn’t know what to say,” I said softly looking at my brother.

He then engulfed me in a hug, wrapping his large arms around me.

“If he ever tries that again I’ll fucking kill him,” my brother muttered in my ear.

“Don’t, it doesn’t need to be a bigger deal then it already is,” I sighed, tightening my grip around my brother.

“So in other news, you and Luke?” my brother said, pulling away from me.

“Uh yeah,” I said blushing slightly.

“The infamous Zoey Banks is settling down, this is a miracle,” he laughed.

“It’s not that unusual,” I said, shifting uncomfortably.

“Yeah it is, you’re miss ‘I’m never going to get a boyfriend, they keep me down,” Holden said, raising his voice in an attempt to sound like mine.

“Shut up,” I laughed, getting up from the couch and going to my room.

☆ ☆ ☆

“Zoey we have a bit of a situation,” Luke said into the phone frantically.

“What is it Hemmings, did you get a B?” I asked, rolling onto my back, my phone still pressed to my ear.

“Our project for physics is due tomorrow,” he whispered.

“SHIT,” I yelled, scrambling around to try and find my notebook.

“What should we do,” Luke asked, his voice filled with anxiety.

“Get over here now, the front door is unlocked so you can just run upstairs,” I said grabbing my pencils and trying to get some stuff written.

“Be there in ten,” he said, then hanging up the phone.

No more then ten minutes later I heard feet pounding up my stairs. My front door was flung open and a frazzled Luke ran in. His hair was sticking up in all directions, and he was wearing these awful green basketball shorts.

“What the hell are those,” I laughed pointing to his shorts.

“Zoey I don’t think my shorts are the most important thing right now,” Luke said, running forwards and throwing his work on my bed.