July Twenty - Seventh

Written By: Janaya R, owner of Writers Coming Together to Write

Where is the best place to write? This is a question which has been asked by many writers. The top answer I have found is any environment which makes you comfortable and you are less distracted in. Some people like to write locked up in their room, while others prefer to go into the living area and still others venture outside.

Personally, since I write all my notes, outlines, maps, character interviews – everything – on paper, I like to have it all laid out in front of me as I sit on the floor in my room working from my laptop with some music in the background. Usually, I keep my phone on the other side of my room, but have the sounds on in case someone needs me. This way it is harder to distract myself and easier to stay on task. 

But what if we get sick of writing in the same place every day?

Venturing outside to write isn’t such a bad idea. The only thing is to be careful where you decide to sit down and take out your laptop. A local swimming pool wouldn’t be a good place – that’s just common sense! How about a park? Maybe… but it’s hard to see your laptop with the glaring sun, and there will be a lot of people talking, screaming and running around.  A common stereotype place for writers to go and write is a coffee shop. A coffee shop is an ok place to write. It’s not the greatest, and it’s not the worst. Just like the park, the coffee shop will have people talking and walking around and there is never a guaranteed seat. It just might also put a dent in your wallet – depending on your self-control.

A good place to write outside of your house could be the library. It’s quiet and there are usually no kids yelling and screaming while running around. There are hundreds of books on every topic imaginable right behind you, so you are able to turn off that distracting internet.   

What are some things you do to keep from being distracted? Where do you prefer to write?