July First

Written by: Lurlene McDaniel, author of over 70 books

During my career as a writer and of teaching workshops, one question I’m most often asked is, “How do I start the book I’m writing?”  Many times a writer has a good idea, a strong plot and likable characters, but doesn’t know how to actually jump into the process.  Chapter One can be a stumbling block and yet, it is the most important part of any book.  This is where you snare the reader and drag them into your story world.  You can’t afford a weak beginning.  Here’s what I know about readers: You have approximately three pages to pull them in.  Don’t waste it.

Over time I’ve learned some tried and true hooks that might help you get off to a good start.

1.  Begin with a startling statement.  In SIX MONTHS TO LIVE, I started the book with: “Dawn Rochelle was thirteen years old when they told her she had cancer.”  My reading audience, often ages 10-13 were immediately drawn into this girl’s drama.  The sentence also accomplished the goal of naming the main character and outlining the basic upcoming conflict...a 13 year old girl’s battle with cancer.  A named character allows a reader to begin bonding with your character, while the stated conflict begins to quickly drive your story.

 2.  Begin in the thick of action.  Starting your book in the heat of a traumatic event can draw in a reader too.  Time for explanations later, just get something exciting happening. In BREATHLESS, the story opens with a girl floating like an air bubble, and unable to recall her own name.

 3.  Begin with dialog. People are curious.  They like eavesdropping, listening in to other people’s conversation, even if they don’t know the people who are talking.  I’ve begun many a book with two characters having a discussion or asking questions.  It’s a good idea to get characters talking quickly anyway.  Dialog looks good on the printed page.  And it’s your job, writer, to make readers care about what is being said, who’s talking, what’s going on, to have readers ask, “Please! Tell us more!”

I caution against starting a book with pages of narration.  Copy density can intimidate readers, and two or three pages of heavy looking copy while a writer sets up what’s happening, can be off-putting.  Once a story begins to flow, once you hook your reader, passages of narration can work to facilitate your story development.

After writing 70+ novels, I know one thing about readers.  They don’t like being bored.  They will follow you once they like your story and your characters. They won’t if you don’t capture them from the very start.