July Twelfth

Written by: Nova, admin at Writers Coming Together to Write

Unless you’re some ultra-motivated, super-optimistic writer, chances are you feel like giving up at times. The plot just won’t work out the way you planned, the characters aren’t memorable and the dialogue is falling flat. Maybe you’re just feeling highly unmotivated, or just distracted by other things in your life (It might be happening to you now.)   

The key in situations like this is to NOT GIVE UP. Don’t delete the last 2000 words you wrote (Or if you really feel like scrapping them, at least save them in another document. You never know when you might want those particular words back). Don’t give in to the negative thoughts, don’t leave your underdeveloped characters clinging to the world you’ve only just started to form. When you started Camp Nanowrimo, all fresh and smiling and full of ideas, you were full of zeal and energy. Don’t let all of that slip away now. Dig deep if you have to, but GET IT DONE! ^.^

Here are a few helpful ideas:

1.       Try to bargain with yourself. Maybe if you write five more chapters, you’ll treat yourself to your favorite treat, or allow yourself to splurge on some item you really want.

2.       Write out some affirmations. This will probably make you want to gag, but some motivational words scrawled out on some post it notes might be exactly what you need. Put them in places you frequent often, such as your writing space or bedroom, and hopefully every time you see phrases such as “Only I can write this story!” and “I am a great writer,” you’ll feel motivated to continue your novel.

3.       Think big, if that’s your style. Imagine a huge fandom, and a movie adaptation, and being as well-known as John Green! You have to write the story first before any of those things can happen.

4.       If #3 isn’t your style, try to isolate yourself from the idea of other people ever reading your work. Write the story that YOU want, and don’t worry about anyone else ever having to read it. If you’re happy with what you’ve written, THEN you can go out and show the world.

In the end, remember that only you can write this story. Camp Nanowrimo July Session, 2014, is the place for you to do it. (But even if you don’t reach your goal, it’s okay! There’s always nanowrimo in November, and next year’s Camp sessions!)