July Twenty - First

By: Valerie Flokstra, Book Review Editor at Laura Thomas Communications

My advice to writers is this: the most important thing about being a writer is writing.  Your skills increase with every word, paragraph, and page.  Each word is both an accomplishment in itself, and another step towards becoming the best you can be.  People don’t become skilled at music, pottery, or anything else in a day, and neither do writers.  It requires hundreds of hours of practice.  The best part is, you’ll have words to show for every hour of writing, even if not many people see some the words you write. 

Some great ways to keep up writing every day are to start a diary, a blog, or make yourself goals such as writing a silly story once a week.  The more you write the easier and better it will become.

So never give up!  Put in a thousand hours of practice, then ten thousand more.  Enjoy every moment of taking your characters (and yourself) on dozens of wild adventures.  Practice brings you nearer to perfection, and so does writing.  Lots and lots and lots of writing.  So to all you dedicated writers: keep up the amazing work!  I can’t wait to read the thousandth thing you’ve written.