Chapter 26

The chatter that filled the waiting to room was ripe with shock and confusion, while I sat in the corner staring at the scene around me I could barely process what was happening. Cullen, Tatiana and Kai were in a room somewhere at the other side of the castle, it made me nervous just thinking about what could happen as her mate they both had a right to fight to the death but the thought of losing either one of them was something that stirred sorrow within me.

I thought back to Kai’s expression, for the first time that mask that he had fixed delicately onto his face melted away and left behind was a boy who was completely lost. When his eyes had swivelled around and met mine I could see the fires in his eyes seemed to have been extinguished, it was as though the very shield that had protected him from all that threatened him had been taken away. So there he had stood a vulnerable boy, who had hidden behind the fiery man and then it was a gone but it was too late I’d already seen. I’d seen the boy Kai had hidden from us all and now I found myself attached to that part of him, I identified with it had I not been so vulnerable not too long ago?

“What do you think will happen?” Daphne asked me her hand holding Kaden’s tightly as though she was afraid he too would find his true mate

I shook my head, I was just as lost as everyone else. He was an Alpha so he needed a mate, but if he denied Tatiana her one true love she would never forgive him, and Cullen would never give up his pursuit of her.

I sighed just thinking about it hurt my head, I crooked my head looking around for Dale. I spotted him standing near the door, staring out into the open corridor. I excused myself and walked over to him hooking my arm around his, he looked down at me with a sad smile before peering down the corridor again.

“What’s wrong?” I asked

I knew that Kai’s situation was quite saddening but Dale’s expression was one that seemed as though it was his heart being torn apart, like it was his mate being taken from him. I leaned into him trying to offer him some comfort.

“What would you do if you were her?” he murmured quietly

I blinked surprised at the question, I hadn’t really thought that much about Tatiana, I mean something told me she’d be mad at Kai if he denied her from her mate but at the same time they’d been through so much and she obviously loved him.

“I hope to never meet him” I declared after much thought

Dale sighed

“You didn’t answer the question”

I looked up at him, his eyes pleaded with me. I bit my lip he wanted an answer and he wanted one that was true no matter how painful it might be.

“I can’t tell you what’d I’d do because I couldn’t imagine loving anyone more than you…but Dale even if I met him he’d never be able to fill your position. You are my first everything and so you’ll always be here”

I led his hand to my chest letting him feel my heart as it began to speed up at his touch, I stared into his eyes, and my other hand caressed his face as I made a promise to him in my heart.