Chapter 50

It felt as though I'd be frozen, an eternity passed by and I could not find it within myself to move. My head was spinning, my body was healing but there was something within me irreparably broken. The tower mocked me with memories of isolation but nothing could ever make me feel as lonely as I did now. The portal remained, black and endless without a single fragment of light to escape it. 

Losing Dale had been insufferable but somehow losing Kai had managed to reach the same level of pain. I came to realise that the reason it hurt so much was because I had just seen my future fall into the underworld. Alora was in disarray, she knew what he was to us now. 

 She was angry with me. Her presence was overwhelming now we were still joined but I felt like a different person there were all these memories that didn't belong to me. Horrific crimes that hadn't been my own, feelings that I thought no one could feel. The King was gone but he had tainted me. 

 Yet within it all I saw my father. I saw the guilty memories that he'd harboured, the self-hate, the insecurity. It was a comforting terror. It would take a very long time to sift through his sins and find the man who had loved me so long ago.

 I groaned as I stood, I was healing but the bones that had been broken weren't healing in the right way. The barrier shimmered in front of me as I hit it. I was expelled immediately rolling onto the floor, with a crack of my arm. I repeated this action until it hurt too much to move and all there was to do was to cry again. Until that got too much and I just lay still, trying not to think. 

 That's how Kione found me. She shook me until I moved a hand, shakily pointing at the black hole in the corner of the room. I wondered how she had managed to stay so untainted, she didn't have a dash of blood on her face, as though she had worked through them completely invisible. Still she was not completely unhurt, there was a darkness in her eyes that wasn't there before, I was sure that I too had it behind my eyes and it wasn't ever going to disappear.  

 She began to lift me but I resisted, crawling towards the dark hole. I felt Kione come up behind me and crouch down until she was on the floor next to me. 

 "He fell" 

 I felt her eyes scan my face but I was so utterly hypnotised by the sight before me that my gaze remained fixated as though that would somehow bring him back. Perhaps it was the way I said it, maybe it was the pent up emotion that was slowly beginning to leak through my body, whatever it was Kione knew I needed to comforted so she held my hand, squeezing it with reassurance.

A tear slipped from my eye before I even had the chance to stop it, and before I knew it my eyes were beginning to water. 

 "What am I supposed to do?" 

 She sighed and through her silence I knew she was trying to find the right words to say 

 "It is no longer in our hands. All you can do is announce to the brave souls outside and within the kingdom that this war has been won" 

 Finally I looked away and faced the woman beside me, her face was etched with sadness but unlike me she would not let it get the best of her. 

 "I can't. I'm not ready" I whispered   

In the few moments that I had imagined this, I had always thought that I would have felt full of joy, that I would have Dale standing beside me but it was far from that. I felt exhausted but most overwhelming was the loss that cracked through my heart. I'd lost everything. 

My mother was most probably dead, Melina I barely knew and the same applied for Marcus, he was far from the brother I once knew even more so because he was a Lycan. I had killed my father and both Dale and Kai had been thrown in the pits of darkness. I blinked rapidly, trying to rid myself of the tears. Was this the way it was supposed to be?