Chapter 18

I held myself closely my body shivering as we walked through the forest, we had come up river somewhere and had now been walking for a quite a while. My hair stuck to my back in strands that had been soaked in river water. The shirt clung to me in an uncomfortable way, slathering the cold against my body, even as I pulled it away as soon as I had walked for a little while it would cling to me again.

The night still clung on to the woods, though Kai had told me a few minutes ago that it would be dawn soon. Somehow being in the woods with him made me feel safe, perhaps it was because I didn’t feel so vulnerable or maybe it was the fact that he seemed so at ease. He walked with purpose and direction, yet the gracefulness of his movements made it seem as though he was one with the forest, as though this was where he truly belonged. I could not say that he was usually clumsy but outside of the forest he seemed stiff, as though he was holding something in.

I felt myself wince slightly as I stepped on something sharp, I lifted my bare foot glad to see there was only a small scratch not anything to major. Kai turned quickly and regarded me with what I could only think of as concern. The expression reminded me of Dale and for a minute I wanted to hug him.

“Do you wish to be carried?” he asked

I stared at him registering what he had just asked, I shook my head standing up straight and walking beside him again. He stared at me for a moment longer and then began to walk again, a small sigh escaping from his lips.

“That was the wolf that attacked you was it not?” he asked after a while

I thought about those soulless eyes and the long red hair, my shivers increased, little electrical impulses racing down my spine and shocking me. My side tingled from where she had cut me.

“Yes”

Kai’s jaw clenched a little and then he put one of his arms around me. I stiffened at the moment but then relaxed as I felt a sudden heat seep through my body. He kept it there loosely, looking away from my face.

“I wonder what it is she wants?” he wondered out loud his ruby eyes scanning the forest. I noticed they were still switching between the three fiery shades, his eyes met mine and he stared for a few seconds before looking away.

I could feel heat raging through me, warming me up as though I was standing near a blazing fire. I couldn’t help but wonder why he gave off this much heat. Dale was always very hot but this kind of heat was different it was both warm and vehement, which confused me as there was no way to describe the feeling.

After a while he removed his arm, I shrugged my shoulders still feeling his arm around them. Even though the shirt was still wet I felt warmer, as though he had transferred his heat to my body.

“It’s not good to stay under the blaze for too long” he murmured

I nodded, finding it odd that even he had given it a fiery reference. We walked through the forest both disappearing into our own thoughts. I thought back to the dream we had shared, why was the Goddess sending him visions of my dreams? And what was it that the red wolf wanted from me? I could not think of anything but I had a feeling in both my stomach and mind that told me that a major event was about to take place.