Chapter 30

I could only stare at Kai as he opened the door to his room beckoning me to pass through its doors. I looked back at Dale whose face was frozen with impassivity, as I peered into the room memories swirled through my mind. Could I really do this again?

What had happened two nights ago had been an accident, but this time I was the one requesting it. What if something strange happened?

“You should hurry” Dale said pushing me into the room

My feet dragged against the floor slightly, but before I knew it I was in the middle of the room staring at the two men. My eyes involuntarily went to the bed before quickly moving away, I smoothed my dress nervousness slowly filling me.

I closed my eyes, thinking of the beautiful woman in the vaults and the strength that had flowed from her.

“What did you say?” Dale questioned

I opened my eyes frowning  at him, Kai stared at me looking at me with a mystified expression as though I had suddenly become a complex puzzle, that he couldn’t solve.

“Lewanna?” As the word tumbled from Kai’s mouth I realised this whole time I’d been mumbling it under my breath from the moment I’d imagined her face.

“Izarra what else did you see down there?” Kai asked, moving towards me a serious look hardening his eyes.

I searched his eyes, looking for something I didn’t know I was looking for. I could feel a frown creasing over my face as my eyes travelled to Dale, he smiled reassuringly at me his eyes warm and open. I looked back to Kai with a heavy sigh releasing itself from my lungs.

“At the end of the hallway there was a woman… she reached out for my hand…”

“But the light was too blinding for you to hold it” Kai finished

My frown deepened as I nodded in confirmation, how could he have known that. Kai’s eyes seemed unable to hold mine, wavering between fear, respect and bitterness.

“She revealed herself to you” he mumbled

My eyes went to Dale again, who watched Kai with concern as my eyes met mine he gave me the smallest of smiles.

“That was the Goddess in her most vulnerable of forms” he explained

Silence wallowed between the three of us as I took the information in. The Goddess who I had not known in so long had finally shown herself to me. I felt my heart twinge in uncertainty, I didn’t know how to feel. Some part of me celebrated as I realised she had helped me recover the first piece and therefore she wished for me to gain my wolf but at the same time I couldn’t help the sorrow that filled me.

Why now? There had been many dark, empty days in which she could have shone her light on me. Days where I had contemplated whether life was worth so much pain, where I struggled to find reasons to keep going. Where had she been then?