Chapter 6

“Dale and Izarra”

Dale held my arm tightly to his side as we came down the stairs, eyes watching us or rather me with scrutiny. Many looked confused, I was sure that they knew who I was but my change in name had taken them aback. I took comfort in Dale standing beside me, I hadn’t known him long but already he was my support beam.

When he had returned to the room, he had noticed the change in me immediately. I had explained to him that I no longer wanted to Mia anymore, that this would be a new start for me and he had smiled assuring me that here, with him I would have the best start possible. And here I was being introduced to the rest of the pack, as Izarra the mate of Dale.

Not Mia the Princess

Not the wolfless girl

Just Izarra

As we came to the bottom of the steps, Pietro smiled at the both of us and followed us with his eyes to the place where the other girls stood with their mates. Daphne, nudged my arm gently smiling at me with what I could only describe as pride. I returned the smile before turning to the front once more, she had been mated with Kaden who stood proudly by her side. I had to say that they made a handsome couple and I truly believed they would be happy together.

I looked further down the line to see the other matches that had been made Tara was with Kyal and young Delia had been paired with Noah. I had to say that Tara looked a little unhappy with her match, I was sure that she had been expecting Dale to be her mate and was ultimately disappointed that she had been paired with someone who had a lower ranking. I was a little unsettled by this, I knew that she would probably resent me but at this moment that was not important.

Finally Tatiana and Kai appeared, their etherealness lulling the entire room into silence, all the disgusted stares and resentful whispered ceased as they floated gracefully down the stairs. Tatiana’s hair had been freed from the neat bun it had been in and flowed gently like a beautiful waterfall to her waist, her blue eyes were lined by kohl making them light up like sapphires that had just been cut and polished to perfection. She wore a white dress that clung to each part of her sculpted figure, unlike my own dress which hung off me as though it was suspended in the air by some unknown force, battling with gravity to remain perfectly upstanding. Like me she had her arm wrapped in the crook of her mates arm, there to protect her and stay forever by her side unless of course he happened to find his true mate, though that was of course a near impossible likelihood.

Kai looked stunning himself, those red orbs sweeping across our faces, as fast as a raging fire would burn down a wood full of trees, escorted by the cruel, fallow winds . I averted my eyes as they stopped to examine my face, I did not think that I would ever be able to look him directly in the eyes ever again.

I did not want to get burnt.

When they reached the bottom of the stairs, the pack began to howl and roar raucously, their sounds erupting into my ear like an unexpected storm. Here everything was so loud, so expressive but in Crysta formality had always been the way, behaviour like this would have been seen as something only the proletariat were privy too.

In some ways I liked it, Crysta had always been my home but the formalities and the rules were too stifling, I often wished that I could smile and laugh and shout as I pleased, instead of having to continually restrain myself when I had sudden bursts of strong emotions. In the tower I had been allowed to express myself but what had been the point? Everyone always expressed themselves in their heads, true expression was too reveal the inner self to people, strangers, acquaintances and family alike. To stop holding back and unleash oneself to the world.

I only hoped that now would be the time that I would be able to do that. Of course I did not know myself anymore, now that I was Izarra I would have to discover myself at the same time as I was revealing myself. I was sure that it would be hard but I had to try. Perhaps this was the Goddess’ way of showing me, if I could not be happy here then perhaps I could never be happy. Perhaps this was the final test, the barrier that would show me whether I was indeed a child of the moon or not.