Chapter 17

The wind flew around us, as Avaro ran through the forest, despite my hesitation I found myself clinging onto him, scared of falling off and being impaled on one of the sharp branches. He ran faster than I could have ever managed, the darkness no longer scaring me as we sped through it.

Beneath me I could feel his warmth, his heart pumping precious blood around his body, blood that was as fiery as his eyes. I closed my eyes leaning against his back, enjoying the way the world passed us both quickly and silently. I could remember the times when Prince Marcus had carried me around on his back, running around with me until I fell asleep on those nights when the tears had stopped me from falling into a peaceful slumber. His kind actions stopped after I had no tears left but the feeling had remained in my heart.

Behind us I could hear the howls of the other wolves as they raced off with their own charges, my mind wandered to Dale trying to imagine who it was his wolf had selected. The strangest of feelings filled my chest as I thought of him with another woman. The feeling seemed to stab itself into my gut, slowly twisting around and making me feel a little annoyed. I shook away the feeling, it did not matter if he was carrying another woman after all I was here with the wolf of Kai.

We ran for another half an hour or so and then finally came to a stop in front of what I assumed to be a cave, even from out here I could the melodic rushing of water. Avaro stepped forward into the cave, although it was dark within the cave candles had been lit illuminated the entire place. It was both long and also wide with enough space for anyone to make it a home.

As he stepped further into the back of the cage I could finally see where the water was coming from. Avaro sat, allowing me to climb off of his back, as gracefully as I could I rearranged the dress so I was appropriately dressed and then I moved to the magnificent sight before me. A water fall crashed from the back of the cave, a massive crevice between me and that smooth body of water.

Although large and intimidating the clear water flowed into the bottom of the crevice, musically creating its own comforting sounds, melded in its sparkling surface. I stared at it a small smile lifting onto my face it was truly beautiful. It was sights such as this that made one appreciate what it truly was like to be on Earth, the beauties of nature that surrounded us were enough to taken anyone breath away and I was no exception. I turned around to see that Avaro had disappeared, for a moment I felt myself panicking, until I saw Kai run into the cave dressed in nothing but trousers.

I averted my eyes, I could barely handle it when Dale was undressed but the more I saw him the more I became accustomed to it. This however was a different matter, I felt him stand before me and as he looked at me he seemed confused.

"Avaro chose you?" he questioned

I looked up momentarily, nodding my head. I had not realised that wolves were so detached from their human forms.

"Sorry I did not mean that as an insult, it's just Avaro serves the Goddess"

I frowned

"I don't understand"

"In my human form I must make my own opinions only vaguely guided by the Goddess, but in my true form, my will fits in the way in which the Goddess sees fit. Only as Avaro can I see things that I would not normally see"

I nodded

"You must think me weak" he said

I shook my head rapidly. I was surprised that was all, the King had always been able to control the actions of his wolf and the gifts bestowed on one form were always present in the other. I guess that was why he was ruler of our lands

"I am not as powerful as I should be, I have not been marked" he stated

That was something I could understand. Each wolf had to be pledged when they first shifted, it was a mark that was given by the Goddess that connected their human form to their true shapes. Usually it came in the form of a mark but the more significant one was to the great plan the bigger mark. Quickly scanning Kai's chest I saw nothing but smooth tan skin, as a white wolf his mark should have been right over his heart.