New Message

This chapter is just to move the story along!
That doesn't matter right now. As long as you keep our chats to yourself, I doubt I'll be any threat to you.
After reading the text once and then again and once more, Matthew slowly locked his phone and placed it on the bed in front of him. His mind was strangely and overbearingly calm as he tried to figure out what that meant, he liked to believe he wasn't stupid, he knew it didn't mean anything good and what did it matter if he told someone that he randomly got a text? No one would think anything of it, up until 10 seconds ago he didn't think anything of it.

Suddenly not feeling safe Matthew leapt across his room and closed his curtains before quickly getting back into bed and under his covers, he reluctantly picked up his phone to text his parents and friends to check if anything had happened but when he unlocked his phone he realized he had received another message from the unknown number.
Don't worry, that wasn't a threat. You shouldn't be scared of me.

Matthew knew that message should make him feel relieved but there was something about it that felt off, although it was a fairly short message it felt,personal wasn't the right word for it, but it felt personal and that unnerved him even more.

Still feeling as though he was being watched,Matthew made his way downstairs where he knew his parents were. He sat on the couch by his mum who was nearly asleep as some sort of detective movie played on the TV. For the next 10 to 20 minutes Matthew watched the story play out on the screen and some how he felt himself relax as he slouched back into the cushions. His mum later excused herself and went to bed leaving him and his dad downstairs to continue watching the television.
"What's up with you?" His dad asked after looking at him for a few moments "you basically flew down the stairs."

The text message came to Matthews mind, the certainty the sender had that Matthew was going to remain silent over whatever was going to happen, he thought that maybe if he told anyone about the message the sender would do something about it so he decided to keep it to himself.
"Nothing" he replied looking at his dad "you know I never walk down the stairs."
His dad continued to look at him for a bit longer before accepting the answer
"You're gonna break your neck one day running down those stairs."
Matthews let out a short laugh and allowed himself to relax further into the sofa as he brought his feet to rest where his mum previously sat. He checked his phone again but there were  only messages from Charlie and Brooklyn. He decided that he wouldn't be able to sleep by himself but didn't want to tell anyone he was scared because then he'd have to explain why or lie about it and he knew he was useless at lying so Matthew decided to sleep on the couch, at least whilst he was trying to sleep his dad would be with him.

*Next day*
With a few soft pats Matthew was woken up by his mum in the morning.
"I'm just heading off for work honey but I knew you wouldn't have set an alarm so I thought I'd wake you up." His mum spoke as Matthew slowly became aware of his surroundings, he felt his mum kiss him on the cheek and then he heard the door slam as she left. After a few slow blinks Matthew moved up the sofa a bit, resting his head on the armrest before suddenly sitting up and nearly launching himself of the sofa as he remembered why he came downstairs. The text message. He moved his hand under the pillow before finding the device and checking to see if anything else had happened. Nothing had and he noticed he had 30 minutes to spare before he had to get up so he messaged Charlie to meet at his house instead as he didn't feel like walking alone even for 10 minutes. He knew Charlie wouldn't reply as Charlie never did so he pressed the button to take him back to a list of all of his recent messages and once again saw the text from the private number. He hesitated for a moment but pressed it and decided that he wanted to reply. His fingers hovered over the keypad as he debated what to type, he didn't know who this person was and he had no idea what to do about it but he was pretty sure texting them back wasn't a good idea but there was a deep curiosity inside of him that made him want to know more so,despite him knowing better, he typed out a message
What's going to happen? How do you know who I am?

He watched as the message said it had been delivered and waited to see if he would get a reply but 5 minutes passed and nothing happened. This made Matthew feel a little safer as he thought he could pass last night of as a prank or something like that or he could ignore that it had ever happened.
He locked his phone and went to get ready for school, as he was halfway up the stairs he turned his phone of completely and tossed it onto his bed once he had made it to his bedroom, he turned on the shower and brushed his teeth as he waited for the water to warm up. He stepped into the shower once he had finished and let the water wake him up.

Once he had finished getting ready he had to wait 5 minutes before Charlie knocked on his front door. He rushed to answer it but paused as his hand touched the door handle, fear crept into his mind as he thought that the person on the other side of the door might not be Charlie. Matthew took a few steps back before moving to the window next to the door to check. Just in case. He peaked through the edge of the window and let a out sigh of relief when he saw the brown hair of his best friend. Charlie knocked on the door again and shouted "you better be awake Matt!" to which Matthew replied by knocking on the window and waving to his friend and then moving to the door to greet him.

They walked in silence for a few minutes
"Can we talk about something? Like for serious."
Matthew spoke nudging his friend, Charlie looked at him awkwardly but nodded and offered Matthew a smile. They never really spoke about serious things, Matthew normally went to Brooklyn for that but he didn't want to worry her, Brooklyn was always so concerned for everyone.
"I received a text last night, from a blocked number, and it kind of- I don't know- it's was just really weird. They knew about the £40 in the-." Matthew was abruptly cut off by a sudden thought, this person, the person who sent the text knew about the money in the house. His dad didn't know about the money. His mum didn't put it there. Nausea washed over Matthew at the revelation and he found himself lightheaded as he stopped walking, he didn't realize Charlie was talking to him
"-eird text. What did it say?" Matthew caught and weakly replied "I just realized it was probably my mum on her work phone." He then managed to gain control of his body once again and carried on walking in complete silence, the nausea remaining as he continued to imagine someone being in his house whilst he slept, whilst his parents slept!

The rest of the walk was silent as even though Charlie was concerned, he didn't ask anything, something told him that he should let Matthew think through what ever was going on.  The rest of the day was filled with tension for Matthew but he attempted to act as if nothing was wrong, his plan to tell Charlie about the text now seemed out of the question as the severity of the situation came to light. It definitely wasn't a prank.
Please leave a like and a comment! I'm really excited for this story