25 // Enjoying the View

C H A P T E R   25 :   E N J O Y I N G   T H E   V I E W

"It's you, it's always you
If I'm ever gonna fall in love I know it's gonna be you
It's you, it's always you
Met a lot of people but nobody feels like you

So, please, don't break my heart
Don't tear me apart
I know how it starts
Trust me, I've been broken before

Don't break me again
I am delicate
Please, don't break my heart
Trust me, I've been broken before"

Instead of staying, I pushed his arms away and went back to my place in front of him. I saw in the hard lines of his face, Logan was irked.

"You're still dirty." I told him as a feeble explanation.

"Not sure the water's gonna help with that." I heard him mutter under his breath. We both knew I had heard him; and we both ignored it. I ripped another piece of my torn sweater and dove it into the water. When I was about to place it on him, Logan stopped me and grabbed it instead. "I'll do it myself." He gave my body a quick glance. "I think you should do the same."

I looked at my arms and shirt, tainted with dirt and some of his blood. For a while we stood in front of each other, none looking at the other, the only sounds the nature and the water doing its job.

"Thank you." He ended up saying. "For not listening to me and helping me anyway. For taking a risk with your power. This way I'll better hide what I did from the others. I don't feel any pain left to mask."

My head tilted to the side curiously. "Why would you need to hide it? Everyone knows how you act. Don't they accept it?"

"We don't always see eye to eye and I rather not tell them about my clandestine works. It's better for everyone this way. I keep my darkest side away from them; if they don't know, they don't ask questions, nor criticize nor reprimand."

I was perfectly picturing Jean lecturing Logan about the violence and lack of ethics in his methods. She was not the one for him and it absolutely infuriated me how he was taking so long to see it.

"Well, from now on, if you decide to go on a killing spree, you can come to me. I get your dark side and it doesn't scare me. You know I won't judge you. You know I don't disapprove."

Logan's eyes were reading me and I felt whole even in my empty places. I didn't know how I'd react being around him from now on, now that I knew. Once you realized something like this, you couldn't take it back. I had crossed a line towards a point of no return.

My heart was a mine and if I let Logan step on it, he wouldn't be able to move. Or everything would explode.

"I know."

If the tension in between us were a breach, the solar system would have been sucked into it by now. I felt such an overpowering pull towards him; I felt like if I didn't act on it it would consume me.

But I didn't move. Clean your wounds and let it sting.

"Besides, I can lessen your pain or at least try to." I shook off my cluttered feelings with a smirk. "I promise I will fix and not tell."

Logan's lips quirked up, assuming the form of an oblique smile.

"If you can already do this in a single lesson, imagine what you'll be able to do in some time."

"There is no way I'll be able to repeat it anytime soon. It only worked in the first place because... well, I was highly motivated."

"Still, don't underestimate you." Logan said, wise enough to ignore my hidden message. "You didn't feel it, but I did. Your power is a miracle."