46 // The Definition of Peace

C H A P T E R   46 :   T H E   D E F I N I T I O N   O F   P E A C E

"I don't know, I don't know, I don't know anymore
Thought I had, thought I had it under control
Hear my voice, there it goes, hear it louder than most

It's not worth it, it's not working
You wanted it to be picture perfect
It's not over
You don't have to throw it away"

He wore blue, red and white and had a shield on his left arm, holding himself in a confident pose but never to the point of arrogance. His stars and stripes uniform was crumpled and had some dirt on it, sign that he had been fighting, but even then, it fit his strong, muscular body like a glove.

The Super Soldier was the first to break our staring competition to start shouting orders to the agents near him, his voice booming in the room like a waterfall of experience. It was clear he knew what he was doing and trusted his comrades, and the others followed his lead without a second of hesitaton. That's what true leadership was; mutual respect and the collective conscience we were all fighting for the same goal: a better world.

"How do you think they heard about this?" I asked Logan when we were dragged into the course of the fight again. Stupid HYDRA. Now that I finally got to see Capsicle live, they got in my way.

"They're S.H.I.E.L.D. They got their methods." Logan assured me.

"Well, I have a feeling we're gonna win this now." I said, but the next second a buff guy had tackled me and shoved me against the ground, my feet pressing against his shoulders urgently as his fist pounded my ribs mercilessly. I gasped for air and wrapped my legs around his neck, my teeth gritting tightly as I snapped it instantly.

I took his body off of mine and got up only to see a blast of bullets being shot in my direction, but then Peter dove down towards me and pulled me up with him, his arm wrapping around my waist as he made us swing above the deadly projectiles.

"Holy buckets, is that Grandpa Frisbee?" Peter asked as we looked down and saw the Sentinel of Liberty fighting about six guys at the same time, his shield producing a loud, metallic sound whenever it hit a wall or helmet. The way he wielded it reminded me of the roman gladiators at the Ancient Olympics. "He looks good for his age!"

"Right? Fine like wine!" I agreed as he made me land softly on a safer place. "Thanks for the save!"

"Always!" He said as he swung away and I dove into a sequence of jumps, flips and cartwheels to avoid bullets, but it got cut by a tall woman who tased me and I collapsed on the floor. As soon as I got up, four other agents grabbed me by my arms, twisting them violently on my back, and I growled just before feeling a shift in the air and watching as a shield was thrown with perfect accuracy and hit the four soldiers in the head one at a time, describing a perfect circle around me and returning to its rightful owner, who put it back into his hand like what he had just done wasn't a big deal.

"Hope you're okay, ma'am." Steve Rogers said politely, his hair ruffled now that he had lost his helmet.

"I can't... breathe." I replied in a strangled tone, and he instantly rushed up to me with eyes dyed in disquiet. Not helping, I thought as he closed the distance between us and analysed my troubled state.

"You might want to step back a bit, Cap, I think you're the problem." Logan said from behind me, a pinch of amusement in his otherwise vexed voice.

"No need!" I protested, shooting an angry glare towards Logan that he shrugged off with a smirk. I looked back at Steve, who was glancing between me and Logan with an entertained expression.