.20.

"All the things that hurt you, actually teach you."

I reached Myrel's neighbourhood in less than thirty minutes. When I came around her driveway, I skidded to a stop. What will she think when she sees the blood on my clothes? Everyone was asleep, as I could hear the snoring from the nearby humans sleeping in their homes. I checked my watch whose dial glass was broken and smeared with blood. The time was five am. I looked around the thin mist surrounding the empty road with hands on my hips. Being in a village has its own benefits for Rogue Werewolves like us since we could live peacefully and anonymously amongst Humans. I took a deep breath and continue walking on the footpath thinking of an excuse.

I ring the bell whilst standing on my toes and wait for her reply. One minute went by and there was no response from her. I pace on the porch and rub my palms from the chilling cold.

I hear ruffling inside and the opening of a door in the hallway. I hear the creaking on the wooden steps and the clicking of the doorknob. The door flings open and she stands in front of me. I behave as if I haven't seen her and look at the neighbour's lawn. I can feel her stare at me as she stands there without saying a word. I try to think what she will say next as she takes in my condition.

"Where were you and where did that blood come from?" she finally asks me, her voice barely a whisper.

I shuffle on my feet and sigh. Let's make this straight. "I was attacked," I say the half-truth confidently.

Her eyes turned to shock. "By whom?"

"Werewolf Mutants," I replied.

"On the train?" She asked me and I nodded. "Oh dear!" She said clutching her chest.

"Can I come in? We can't let Humans see my state." I said slowly. She nodded immediately and opened the door wider to let me in.

I went in and plopped on the couch. Myrel had left the living room windows open, making the satin curtain sway in the cool breeze seeping in. She quickly came beside and tied her hair in a bun waiting for me to explain.

"Can I have some water please?" I ask her my voice hoarse.

***

"It happened at Thornton Forest an hour after midnight," I explain. "There were eight to ten passengers on a train who had to get down at Eastborough. Just after midnight, the train stopped abruptly, the driver goes missing and the passengers decide to walk to the next station."

"And then?" She asks leaning forward.

"That's where they come in," I growl lowly. "Scar begins to howl seeing the passengers discover the driver's body and runs behind them. One of the passengers, Jenny, gets bitten by him and transforms into a Mutant an hour later."

She shivers at the mention of Mutant and lets out air from her mouth.

"Are you okay?" I ask her when I see her pale visibly.

She nodded immediately and I continued sliding down from the couch. "They were eaten up by the other Mutants one by one."

"So, any idea how many Mutants are there in the forest?" she asks me with narrowed eyes.

I cocked my head to the side and thought for a while. "As per the attack, there are three Mutants. The train guard Joe is the latest addition." I will never forget how my heart broke seeing Joe kiss Ellen. If I knew they loved each other I wouldn't have loved Joe in my heart. Love cannot be forced on a person.

Myrel shook her head burying her head in her hands. "I thought we were away from trouble when we ran from Talia. But these Mutants never leave us alone." She huffed her grey eyes glinting in the daybreak light.