Chapter 8

Three days later, the house was a bustle of activity as the women finished the final last minute packing for Kristi's trip. Iris had worked a miracle with Kristi's belongings, somehow managing to fit everything that Kristi wanted to take with her into two small valises. Both women, Mrs. Westley and Iris, had been a tremendous help to Kristi, despite their opinions on Kristi's departure. Mrs. Westley had taken her to the dress makers and had acquired two sturdy split skirts and had had two of Kristi's dresses altered in a similar way, an ingenious design that Iris had come up with.

Dr. Gage had presented her with a going away present of new western riding boots, kid gloves, and a brown, wide-brimmed stetson. Kristi had seen the tears in his eyes before he turned away gruffly and had gone to instruct Zeke to get the carriage ready.

Dr. Ryans had also given her a gift. He had outfitted her medical bag with new instruments and a full inventory of supplies to treat almost any injury or ailment. Kristi had been touched by his generosity and had struggled with the right words with which to adequately thank him. He had brushed off her thanks and had promised to be at the train station to see her off.

"Kristi!" Dr. Gage called from downstairs, "Hurry child, the carriage is ready and your train departs soon!"

Kristi buckled the last leather strap on her valise and picked up both the carpet bags and her black doctors bag. The luggage was awkward, but manageable. She carried them down the stairs and handed them over to Tibbons when he offered to take them.

Dr. Gage and the house staff were lined up inside the door, waiting to bid her farewell. Kristi hugged each of them, even Tibbons, saving Mrs. Westley for last. As she hugged the motherly cook, she felt moisture on her neck from Mrs. Westley's tears. Mrs. Westley held on tightly and eventually Mr. Westley had to pry her loose. Mrs. Westley latched onto her husband. She pushed her handkerchief against her mouth to stifle her crying.

Dr. Gage led Kristi to the carriage and assisted her inside. Zeke took them to the station. Dr. Gage didn't speak the entire way. Zeke stopped at the station platform and Dr. Gage helped Kristi out. The men unloaded the bags and placed them at Kristi's feet. Zeke climbed back onto the carriage.

Dr. Gage stood in front of Kristi. When he finally met her gaze, she understood his aloof behaviour. His eyes glistened with unshed tears that he had been hiding from everyone.

"Kristi," he began, his voice thick with emotion, "I want you to know how..."

He was cut off by the voice of Dr. Ryans as he made his way across the platform, dodging the groups of people also waiting for the train.

"Hello, Leland," Dr. Gage greeted him a little less warmly than usual.

Dr. Ryans returned the greeting before looking at Kristi. "We really are losing you today?" he asked.

Kristi could think of no response to that except to nod her head. Over all, Dr. Ryans had been fairly supportive of her choice, but he had confided in her that he had hoped she would remain at Kingston County.

It was an awkward silence.

Kristi scanned the crowd around her, hoping to find Wade among the groups of people. For a moment she felt afraid that he wouldn't show up, that she would have to stay here. The thought was terrifying.

And then she saw him, walking slowly, navigating the crowd amiably and unhurriedly.

"Wade!" she called to him, her relief at his arrival showing in her voice.

He raised a hand in acknowledgement and sauntered over to them. When he reached them, he doffed his black stetson and let the leather satchel he had strung over his shoulder slide to the ground. He nodded to Kristi and shook both of the men's hands.