Chapter 5

Miss Kristine Garrett,
I regret to inform you of the deaths of both Mr. Richard Joseph Garrett and Mrs. Florence Elaine Garrett who perished in a fire at their home at ten o'clock Sunday night. Funeral arrangements dictated by their will have been carried out.

I must request that you return at your earliest convenience so their estate may be settled.
My condolences for your loss,
Fredrick Chance, Attorney.

Kristi was in shock. She was numb in body and mind. The last thing she recalled before the fuzzy blankness took over her mind, was watching the black edged note fall from her hand and flutter to the wooden floor. She may have collapsed, and Tibbons may have caught her, but she wasn't sure. All she knew is that now she was floating to another room. 

She heard Tibbons calling loudly for Dr. Gage, which only added to her confusion, for Tibbons never raised his voice.

She stopped floating and came to rest on a sofa, or maybe someone had carried her. Tibbons perhaps?

She heard the loud clattering of footsteps as a couple people hurried to her side. Mrs. Westley and Dr. Gage. Mrs. Westley knelt before her and took her hand, looking at her worriedly.

Kristi could hear Dr. Gage and Tibbons conversing in worried tones. She only made out the last sentence before Dr. Gage dashed from the room. "The letter on the floor."

And then the agony hit. Kristi's sob was choked by her painful raspy intake of breath. The noises that came from her were strangled by grief and denial. It wasn't true, it couldn't be.

But when Dr. Gage re-entered the room carrying her parents' death notice, his mournful expression shattered whatever remained of Kristi's composure, hope, and well being. She crumpled forward into Mrs. Westley's arms and wept, her heart aching.

Mrs. Westley sat on the sofa beside her and pulled her tightly to her chest. Kristi sobbed and clung to Mrs. Westley, crying her pain onto the older woman's shoulder.

How long they stayed that way, she didn't know, but eventually she grew exhausted. Dr. Gage extracted Mrs. Westley from her grip and Carried Kristi to her room. When he left, Iris and Mrs. Westley helped undress her for bed. They tucked her in gently and turned to go.

Kristi felt her panic return. "Mrs. Westley," she croaked, her voice almost nonexistent, "Please don't leave me alone."

Mrs. Westley whispered something to Iris before taking the chair from Kristi's desk and bringing it to the bedside. She took Kristi's hand in her own and sat beside her. "I won't leave you dearie, I promise," she whispered.

With Mrs. Westley's hand anchoring her to reality, Kristi drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning, Kristi awoke feeling un-rested and ill. True to her word, Mrs. Westley had stayed by her side all night. She awoke when Kristi stirred, her eyes going immediately to Kristi's, filled with compassion and concern.

The door opened and Iris stepped in carrying a covered tray, her timing as impeccable as usual. She brought the tray to the bed and lifted the cloth from it, showing its contents, tea for two and a plate of toast.

Kristi sat up and Iris placed the tray on her lap. Krsiti was not hungry at all, but her mouth was dry and she hoped she could ease the worried expression from Mrs. Westley's face if she at least attempted to eat something.

She sipped her tea slowly, her stomach in slight disagreement with her.

A soft knock sounded on the door and Iris went to open it. Dr. Gage entered, his face a mask of resignation. Kristi knew what he was going to say would be hard to hear when he quietly asked Mrs. Westley and Iris to leave the room.