Chapter 4

Two days later, Kristi was a bundle of nerves as she rode with Dr. Gage to the hospital. Today was the day she would be meeting with the members of the board. They would review her records and decide if she had accomplished her training satisfactorily enough to be awarded her certification. Dr. Gage had assured her that all would go well, but she was still frazzled.

Everything she had been working towards all hinged on this meeting. If she passed the review, she would begin her final week of training in the operating room with Dr. Seldon to prepare her for being Carter's assistant. If she didn't pass, she would begin another term of general training for six more grueling months. Yes, there was definitely something to be nervous about.

When they reached the hospital, Dr. Gage assisted her down from the carriage and led her to the board room. He went inside with the other members while she waited in the hallway to be called in. There was a chair provided, but she was unable to still herself long enough to sit. She began pacing in nervousness.

Dr. Seldon opened the door, his usually jovial face somber. "You may come in now, Miss Garrett."

Kristi was glad she hadn't eaten anything this morning, for she probably would have had to empty her stomach by now. She entered the room and Dr. Seldon closed the door behind her.

There was a table with eight chairs pulled up behind it, seven of those chairs were occupied by doctors and board members from the hospital. Dr. Seldon led her to a ninth chair set in front of the table and gestured for her to take it. She sat and he returned to the unoccupied seat behind the table. Kristi held her hands tightly clasped in her lap so she would not fidget.

Mr. Cheaver, the hospital director and president of the hospital board, addressed her, "Miss Garrett, you are down to to your final week of training here at Kingston County Hospital, I'm sure you are aware of that?"

Kristi stopped biting her lip long enough to answer, "Yes Sir, I am aware of that."

He nodded and gestured to a pile of papers on the table in front of him. "Miss Garrett, throughout your time here, your supervising doctors have been filing reports about your conduct and abilities every week. Did you know this, Miss Garrett?"

Kristi swallowed before answering, "No, Sir, I did not."

He nodded slowly. "I thought not, Miss Garrett."

He sounded ominous. Kristi had to work hard to keep her breathing normal and appear calm.

Mr. Cheaver continued, "Miss Garrett, do you have any idea what is in these reports?"

Kristi could only shake her head, for she did not trust her voice.

Mr. Cheaver's face looked grim, "Well, Miss Garrett, what I have here are several dozen reports filled with countless glowing remarks about your character and countless other qualities you possess."

Kristi could hardly believe her ears at his words which were delivered so worryingly. Her hopes resurfaced and her breath hitched in surprise. Mr. Cheaver and several others on the panel cracked a smile at her reaction.

"Miss Garrett," Mr. Cheaver said, "Upon reviewing your files, and receiving many fine recommendations, including one from Nurse Baylor, it is my pleasure to inform you that tomorrow you will begin your last days of training, and a week from now, you will be awarded your nursing certificate."

Kristi was ecstatic. She was as good as certified right this moment. As long as she continued to work hard, nothing could take this away from her.

The men rose from their seats and Kristi stood automatically. Mr. Cheaver reached out a hand to her and she stepped forward to take it.