Chapter 6

Kristi returned to work at the hospital three days after their arrival from Arrow Cape. She was ready to focus on something other than her own heart ache, for taking time off was not doing anything to help her cope. Working would at least distract her and make her think of the needs of someone other than herself.

The hospital staff had welcomed her back warmly, but Kristi could see the looks of pity in their eyes, even  in Nurse Baylor's. She had been awarded her nursing certificate and it had been delivered to Dr. Gage's home by the time they had returned. Dr. Gage had had it framed and it was now sitting on her bedside table next to a picture of her parents. It had been a terribly emotional week and Kristi hoped that returning to work would also begin the process of returning her life to normal.

She went about the routine check, making sure all of the patients weren't in need of anything and would be all right until the first check of the day shift. There was less than one more hour remaining on Kristi's shift, and she felt as iff she would sleep well for the first time in days.

She ended her round at Mr. Radley. He was surprisingly still asleep, but even in slumber, Kristi could see the toll that his sickness was taking on him. He was pale, his features weary and strained. Alice had told her that he was being kept on morphine almost all of the time to manage the pain and to help him sleep. The prospects of his situation were not at all promising.

Kristi took his hand and squeezed it gently. He didn't respond in any way.

"Kristi."

Kristi looked to where the voice had called her name. Alice walked swiftly towards her, her eyes wide. "Kristi," she said again, "come quickly, everyone is being called to the nurses' station, something terrible has happened."

Kristi left Mr. Radley and went swiftly with Alice to the nurses' station on the lower floor.

The whole nighttime staff was present, from doctors and nurses to the cleaning crew and two stable hands.

Dr. Stafford stood on one of the wooden chairs, increasing his already sizable height to command the attention of the crowd.

"You have all been summoned here for one reason," he said, "Not five minutes ago, a rider reached the hospital and informed us that a passenger train from Arrow Cape has derailed. The estimated number of wounded is high as the wreckage was very bad. Both ambulances have been sent out already and more wagons are being hitched to take medical personnel to the site. More staff have been sent for, but we will still require the efforts of all of you here."

Kristi felt the same feelings that she saw in the faces of those around her. They all knew the possible horrors that could be expected from train derailments, injuries as severe as severed limbs and extreme burns had been seen at these kinds of accidents several times before.

Dr. Stafford continued his speech, "I will be going with the wagons and will select members to accompany me. The rest of you will stay here and prepare for the incoming wounded."

He proceeded to call the names of his assistants, and Kristi jolted in surprise when her name was called.

"Those of you I have chosen, please follow me," Dr. Stafford commanded.

Kristi and a small group of attendants followed him outside to the two waiting wagons. They climbed in quickly and the drivers sped away, pushing the horses to a racing speed.

At the outskirts of town, they passed both ambulances speeding towards the hospital, the drivers whipping the horses and clanging the bell wildly. Kristi's heart raced and her stomach roiled.

Less than a mile from town, the horrific scene came into view. Only one of the cars was left on the track, the engine and three passenger cars laying on their sides in a dismantled tangle, while what looked like the stock car had been miraculously left standing.