Chapter 2

Kristi awoke slowly, first sensing the warm afternoon sunlight upon her face and arms. It lit the room pleasantly, brightening the light blue, cream, and gold designed wall paper and honey colored oak flooring. She reached her arms over her head and arched her back, emitting a little noise as she stretched. Little by little, her sleep addled mind began to process. As she became more aware, she could hear the sounds of nature coming from the open window: a bee flying up from the garden, a robin twittering in its nest, and a horse pulling  carriage. She also heard the sounds of the household: Iris cleaning the second floor parlour that was directly beneath Kriti's room, and Tibbons clomping up the stairs, probably carrying freshly laundered linens to the closet.

She smiled contentedly and snuggled beneath her blue and gold quilt, trying to decide whether to get up or not. Her stomach answered for her, growling to make its choice known. She savoured a few final moments before throwing back the blankets and sitting up. She wriggled her legs free of the covers and her tangled night gown and set her feet on the floor. They landed on a rag rug, made up of strips of blue toned cloth to match her room. This particular room had belonged to Dr. Gage's son, Charles. Charles   had been obsessed by his Naval Officer uncle's career and his room had been decorated to show that favoritism. When Kristi had arrived, Mrs. Westley and Iris had made the room their personal project. They had feminized it from top to bottom, adding lace accents to the light blue curtains, doilies on every desk, dresser, table, and shelf, a white ruffled canopy over the bed, and even a fainting couch upholstered in a cream and gold striped brocade.

It was the finest room Kristi had ever seen. Dr. Gage had requested that she made the room her own and she had done just that. She had accented it with objects of her own interests. A picture of her parents stood on the bedside table, medical books borrowed from Dr. Gage littered the desk and dresser tops, and riding boots and a crop sat on the floor at the foot of the bed.

She stood up and stretched before heading to the wardrobe in her dressing room. She picked out her favorite dress, a light weight gown with brown and green floral skirt and sleeves and a brown bodice. The short puff sleeves and airy material were perfect for the bright, late July

day.

Kristi heard a knock on her bedroom door and went to answer it, knowing that it would be Iris. Iris always seemed to know when Kristi awoke, no doubt hearing her footsteps above the parlor. 

"Good afternoon, Miss."

"Good afternoon, Iris," Kristi answered as she stepped aside for Iris to enter.

Iris spied the dress on the bed where Kristi had tossed it. She picked it up.

"You do realize that you have other dresses in your wardrobe besides this one?" she asked.

"Yes, Iris," Kristi explained, "But they are not my favorite. This one is."

Iris helped Kristi dress, tsking and muttering the whole time about how Kristi only ever wore one dress, like she was poor, and if Kristi wanted to shame Dr. Gage, then who was she to stop her.

Kristi hid a smile the entire time, and only allowed it to break free as she descended the stairs. Tibbons passed her on his way up, carrying his second load of freshly laundered towels and sheets to the third floor linen closet.

"Good afternoon, Tibbons," Kristi said cheerfully.

"Miss," Tibbons replied in his usual solemn tone, with barely a head nod of recognition to her.

She continued downstairs and went straight into the kitchen. She glanced around the room, making sure Mrs. Westley wasn't present, and when she was satisfied that no one was around, she went foraging for a snack. She didn't have to search long. On the table was a plate with two muffins, left over from breakfast, covered by a dish towel. Kristi took the whole bundle, plate muffins, and towel, with her to the library, using the dining room and then the library door across the hall as her escape route.