33. The Truth

Sunday June 3

Jake's P.O.V.

             It feels so good to have finally been on my first date with Chelsea.  I'm upset that it didn't happen awhile ago, but the wait was definitely worth it!

            The date wasn't quite how I expected it, though.  I wish that Chelsea and I would have went by ourselves for our first date.  I could tell that she felt uncomfortable and I'm sure she would have preferred a regular date.

            Tanner and Janae seemed to be getting along great for just getting backed together.  They were all laughs and smiles tonight.  Jocie and Dan were getting along pretty well too.  I wouldn't be surprised if they become a couple in a few days.

Monday June 4

Jocie's P.O.V.

            After arriving at school, I notice that there is a large crowd around Dan's and Jake's lockers.  Dan told me that after everyone heard about what happened Friday night, people from school, mainly girls, kept texting him and Jake.  It's as if they're heros now for getting David in trouble.

            I'm not one for large groups, so I hung by my locker while several girls swarmed Dan and Jake.  Alex, Kyle, and Zack have now joined the huddle.  Can't I just have a moment to talk to Dan without everyone listening in on our conversation?

            What really makes me nervous is how Brittany and Makayla won't leave Dan's side.  It's like they think they're glued to him.  They are on either side of him staring at him, attempting to look like they're actually listening to him, but that's just the thing, they are not.  I know how they work and acting caring about guys is at the way bottom of their checklist to getting a guy. 

            It's not that I think Dan will fall for their fakeness, not really, anyway.  They can, however, be really convincing sometimes, I hear.  Why can't they like someone like David?  Oh wait, that would be way too easy, and everything in my life has to go the hard way.

             Dan is craning his head around and finally sees me.  I pause in the hallway to wait for him and watch him make his way over as he moves expertly through the crowd of people.

            "Hey, Jocie.  I wondered if you were coming today or not.  I hope I didn't scare you off after our date..."

            "Hey, um, no."  I laugh.  "You didn't scare me off, I just arrived here not too long ago."

            "Oh, ok.  That makes me feel better."  He puts his arm around me and smiles as we start walking down the hall.  "You weren't scared off by all the people, were you?  I don't even know why they're crowding around Jake and me.  Did getting David in trouble make us like celebrities or something?"

            I look over at him and stare into his eyes intently, "Um, a little, I don't like large crowds with people.  I think everyone wants to be your friends now because David is such a jerk and you stuck it to him."

            He shakes his head slowly, "You're so shy, but that's something I really like about you.  Should we get to class now?"

            I nod my head in response.  Did he just confess that he likes me?  Or does he have to say "I like you" directly.  He did say that's something he likes about me....  Either way, I'm so happy that he likes my shyness and that's he's by my side.