7. Hanging Out

Tuesday May 30

Dan's P.O.V.

            I go through an average day of school.  Jake introduces me to some new people and I get to meet Chelsea more adequately.  Chelsea seems like a really sweet girl and I can tell Jake really likes her.  The upsetting part is that he really likes her.  Like likes her likes her, but he doesn't have the guts to tell her or he doesn't realize it yet.  I guess that's why they call love blind.  Anyway, since Chelsea and Jake started to talk I decided to speed things up a bit. 

            It's the end of the day, and I see Chelsea standing at her locker.  She's all alone as everyone else walks by, and her pretty red hair is hanging messily around her face as she tries to grab too many books out of her locker.  I walk up beside her and grab the books for her.  She turns to look at me and smiles.

            "Hi, Dan.  Thanks for getting my books for me." 

            I hand Chelsea her books and we start  to walk down the hall together. 

            "You don't ride the bus do you?"  Looking out the window, I see the school buses drive away.  "That'd be unfortunate considering they are all leaving and you aren't on one of them."

           "No, my mom picks me up.  She'll be here in about 5 minutes."

            I smile at her, "Good.  I really didn't want you to miss your bus.  Anyway, I saw you and Jake are talking again."

            "Oh, yeah."  Her smile widens.  "It's nice to talk to him again.  Wait.  You don't know what happened between us do you?"

            "Of course I do.  Jake tells me everything, and he talks about you a lot too."

            She looks away and I see a blush creep up on her face, "Oh."

            There's a silence between us, and neither of us seems to know what to say.  Then, I get an idea.

            "Hey Chelsea, how about if you come over tonight?  We could hang out like old times.  Except you and I have never hung out before and you and Jake haven't hung out in a while.  So?"

            "Umm..Sure.  What time?"

            "How about 5?  Oh, and bring your swimsuit.  See ya."  I wave at her and walk out to my mom's car before she can protest or ask any questions. 

            I get into the car, and look over at my mom.  She's been looking so happy since I'm home. 

            "Do you know where your brother is?"

            I turn around to look at the rest of the car.  There are three leather seats behind the driver and passenger seat and they are all vacant.  Turning back around, I pull out my cell phone.

            "Nope, but I'll find him."

            Hey.  Get your butt out here.  Mom and I are waiting in the car.

            I get a response almost right away and sit back in my seat, waiting for my brother.

            Ok.  I'll make sure to move my butt faster.

            After a few minutes, Jake finally climbs into the middle of the car. 

            "Hey.  So, how was your first day?"  Jake asks.