6. Dan Collin

Tuesday May 30

Jake's P.O.V.

            I look up into the pretty face of a girl.  She's not just any girl.  I ran into Chelsea Harris, the girl I used to be best friends with.  She looks stunned as she bends down to pick up her books that she dropped when we collided.  I'm still too shocked to say or do anything.  Dan starts to help Chelsea pick up her books while I stand there, frozen.  After a few moments I finally recover myself, and join in on the picking up.  The three of us manage to finally pick up all of Chelsea's stuff. 

            I start to have a battle with myself.  Should I say anything to her?  I mean if I don't it'll seem like I'm a jerk.  I really do want to talk to her, but I'm afraid Tanner will find out.  I weigh my options, and decide that it's worth talking to Chelsea. Wait, didn't I already have this discussion with myself?  Yes, I believe I did.  Too bad if Tanner doesn't like me talking to Chelsea.  Looks like Dan is going to talk to her anyway.

            "Hey Chelsea,"  her eyes widen in shock.  I guess she is really surprised I'm talking to her.  "I'm sorry I ran into you.  I should've watched where I was going.  Anyway, I'm also sorry for being a jerk to you.  It's just that Tanner threatened me into not talking to you.  It's ok if you're mad at me though, I deserve it."

            Her eyes finally go back to normal and she recovers from her shocked state.  "No, no, no.  It's ok Jake."  She looks over at Dan and she looks confused.  Oh right..she doesn't know that Dan is my brother.

            Dan reaches his hand out to shake Chelsea's hand, "Hi.  I'm Dan Collin."

            She shakes his hand, "I'm Chelsea.  I don't believe we've met.  Are you a new student?"

            "Yeah, I'm a new student."

            She gives him a big smile, "Well, welcome to Jefferson High School.  I hope you like it here, and if you need anything you can come talk to me.  Well, see ya!"  She turns around and starts to go.

            I reach my hand out, and gently grab onto her arm.  "Before you go.  I have something important to tell you.  This," I gesture to Dan, who waves, "is my brother, Dan."

            Her smile slowly fades into a confused look.  "What?  You only have one brother and that's Tanner."

            "Umm..actually no.  I know we never told you or your family this, but Dan is my twin brother," I say.

            She stares.  I wonder if she really is believing it.  I don't blame her.  I mean we've known each other for fifteen years and she never has once heard or seen about Dan.

            "Uh-uh-uh..You-you have another brother?" she stammers. 

            Dan wraps his arm around me, "Yep.  I'm three minutes younger."

            She is still staring and utterly confused. 

            That's when Dan pipes in, "You've never met me before because I used to live with our dad.  Our parents made a deal that Tanner and Jake would live with our mom while I would live with our father.  Our dad has finally agreed to let me stay with Jake and I mom.  I'll be living here until I graduate."

            "Oh well, I'm glad you're staying.  It was nice to meet you," she says slowly.

            "I'm glad I'm staying too.  It was really nice to meet you too."

            "Bye," she says to both of us and walks away.  We both just stare after her.

            "So that's the girl you always talk about?" Dan asked me.

            "Yeah, that's her."

Dan's P.O.V.

            It was really nice to finally meet the infamous Chelsea Harris that Jake always talks about.  I think he really likes her or at least did.  I don't blame him though, she seems like a really nice girl.  I know they stopped talking, but I think they're going to start talking to each other again. 

            Jake walks with me as we head to our first class.  We get there and the first thing I notice is that Chelsea is in this class too.  I walk up to the teacher and introduce myself.  The teacher talks to me for a while.  She also has me introduce myself to the class.

            "Hi.  I'm Dan Collin.  I'm also Jake's twin brother."  I hear gasps from around the room, and everyone starts to talk.  Almost every girl in the room is staring at me like I'm some kind of underwear model.  I am wearing clothes right?  Jake wouldn't let me embarrass myself.  I look down just in case.  Sure enough, I'm wearing clothes.  Phew.  That would have been embarrassing.  I blush slightly at all the looks and extra attention, and the teacher tells me where to sit. 

             I get to sit diagonally from Chelsea, which is right next to Jake.  I look over at Jake and give him a devilish smile because he has to sit in front of her.  Ha.  That's funny.  I guess I'll be getting to know her better.  Jake gives me a glare back in response to my smile.  I think he's in denial.  I bet he really likes sitting in front of her.  I turn to Chelsea and give her a big grin and thumbs up.  She smiles back at me.  Well, this ought to be fun.  Jake and I sitting next to each other...  That teacher sure is asking for trouble!

             Everyone is still staring at Jake and me.  Wow..  I never expected them to be so shocked.  Is it really that hard to believe?  We look pretty much alike.  Same messy brown hair and hazel eyes.  Around the same height, weight, and similar skin colors.  We also have the same last name.  Isn't it kind of obvious?