10. Forbidden Friendship

Wednesday May 30 After School

Dan's P.O.V.

            I hear people in the hallway yelling.  What are they doing?  Don't they know we're in a hospital?  How rude of them.  Jake stays by Chelsea's side while I say.  I'll give them some alone time for them to chat.  I walk out into the hall to see what's going on.  The first thing I see is four figures.  Chelsea's mom, her dad, my mom, and my dad.  Wait.  My dad is here?  What the heck??  This definitely can't be any good if he's here.

            Instead of going over to our parents right away, I stay back and just watch the scene, figuring I'll only make it worse if I intervene.   

            "What do you think you're doing here?  You shouldn't be here!" Chelsea's mom shouts at my parents.

            "My sons needed a ride to the hospital, so I brought them.  As for him," my mom gestures at my dad, "I don't know why he's here."

            This time Chelsea's dad speaks up.  "Your son is the reason why MY daughter is here!  If he would've kept her safe she wouldn't be here!  Why was she even over at your house anyway?"

            My mom is pretty calm, despite all the yelling.  My dad however, he's not.  He has a quick temper, especially if you talk badly about Tanner, Jake, or me.  I'm not sure why though.  My mom raised Tanner and Jake on her own, while my dad raised me.  If you could call it raising me.  He just sat in his office all the time and worked ever since I was five.  I guess that's how I learned to take care of myself.

            "Dan was protecting your daughter!  He tried keeping her safe, but the man got in his way.  Maybe you should have been home so YOU could have dealt with the man!"

            "Everyone, stop!  We're in a hospital fighting over who's fault it is that Chelsea got hurt.  This is ridiculous.  Yes, Chelsea got hurt, but Dan at least tried to protect her.  She was only over for some fun anway.  The kids haven't hung out in two months.  Let's just be thankful that everyone is ok, and that our kids are friends again," my mom calmly states.

            "No! I won't have this!  That son of yours, correction, all three of your sons, are out of control!" Chelsea's dad yells.

            What?  Us out of control?  Why is it my fault that Chelsea got hurt?  I tried to protect her, and it's suddenly my fault?

            My dad has handled his anger up until now, but that last part pushed him too far.  He punches Chelsea's dad in the face and her dad and my dad start fighting. 

            One of the nurses at the info desk grabs a phone and calls security. 

            Soon security men are all over the floor we are on, and coming towards our parents.  They pull apart my dad and Chelsea's dad.

            My mom now looks kind of mad.  I bet she feels insulted at what Chelsea's dad said, but also mad at my dad.  I'm pretty sure his anger issues were one of the reasons she decided to divorce him.  I don't blame her. 

            Chelsea's mom looks pretty mad too.  I guess she probably hates my whole family now, especially since my dad just beat up her husband. 

            My dad has a few small bruises on him.  Chelsea's dad took the main beating.  He has a bloody nose and a black eye.  I really don't hope either go to jail.

            I know my father was never the greatest father, but I still don't want him to go to jail.  Especially for my mom's sake.  As far as Chelsea's dad goes, if we were to go to jail, Chelsea's family will never like us.  I don't even know how to explain the fight to Jake and Chelsea.