Chapter 16: Got The Wrong Man

Eliza stood in front of the library doors with Erik and Leopold beside her. "Leopold I know you can't see him, but this is lord Erik Estelle. Erik this is Prince Leopold Renaldo of Belgium." Eliza says introducing the two.

When Erik placed his hand lightly on the prince's shoulder, Leopold flinched backwards. "What they say is true, ghosts are freezing" Leopold says and Eliza gave him a stern disapproving look, before leading the two gentleman into the library.

But Erik didn't move past the threshold.

It was when Eliza stopped feeling his cold presence behind her did she stop and turn to see him there, staring at the threshold confused. Eliza walked away from where she left Leopold and over to stand beside Erik. "I never thought about entering the library..something just..didn't ever seem right" he explains to her, his voice quivering with his nerves.

Eliza softly put her hand where his hand was, her hand almost touching, but it was enough for him to look up at her. "I have a surprise for you Erik. maybe then you'll see why this place felt off to you" Eliza says and leads him past the threshold. Eliza led Erik over to where Alessandra was. But when they came to stand behind her Eliza walked over to Alessandra, who was still sobbing. "What was I thinking..what was I-" Eliza tapped her ghostly head, "Madam" she whispers and Alessandra turned to face her, and Erik gasped.

Eliza moved out of the way, and the moment Alessandra saw erik, her once teary eyes, began to brighten, and she stood from the ground. "Erik?" she asks as she walked over to him. Erik stood frozen, not believing what he was seeing. "Alessandra.." he whispers as her hands cupped his face. "Oh Erik" she gasps happily and wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tight.

"It should have been you Erik! The bastard! I..I am so sorry.." Alessandra sobbed against his chest. "I am so sor-" she stopped when he wrapped his arms around her. "Shhh. don't worry." he whispers to her and hugged her tightly, as the two stayed in each other's embrace.

Eliza watched smiling happily, a tear falling down her cheek, which she wiped away with the sleeve of her sweater. Leopold was watching Eliza and smiled, knowing that whatever just happened, was a happy ending. To Eliza though, for Erik and Alessandra it was a happy ending, but for what was going on at the opera house, something wasn't right about the man in black, and she wanted to know what that was.

*~*~~*~*

"Miss Spencer!" one of the policeman shouts as Eliza crawled under the desk and ran into the bullpen. "Stop her!" the policeman shouts, and that was when the detective and captain Dubois exit from the detectives office to see Eliza duck under one of the policeman's desk.

"I need..to talk..to detective..Archibald!" Eliza gasps as she ran around the bullpen, dodging the policemen, until one came from the break room and grabbed her. "Detective!" she screams loudly. "Let her go" detective Archibald says as he approaches the crowd of policemen, guarding incase she escaped the man's hands. "You heard him" Eliza says and the policeman put her down on the ground. "Thank you" Eliza says as she fixed her sweater sleeves.

Eliza followed the detetive over to where the captain stood in his office. "Please, sit miss Spencer" detective Archibald says as he gestured to the seat beside the captain. Eliza went and sat in the chair as the captain stood from her seat and went to the door closing it shut, while the detective went and sat in the chair behind his desk.

Captain Dubois stood behind Eliza's chair, as Eliza sat nervously in the chair, with both the adults looking at her. "What's his name?" Eliza finally asks, getting her voice back. Captain Dubois was the first to speak. "His name doesn't matter. What matters is he has confessed to all the murders and he is going to be moved from our holding cells to one of France's best prisons." she simply tells Eliza. "Easy as that" she says putting the conversation at an end.