Chapter 12: Louis Bernard Secret

Anna walked down the corridor of the opera house alone.

The detective told her that he and Leopold were going to go talk to Nathalie about Adelene and see if she could give more insight into the girls life here, since they were together so much.

Anna was wanting to talk to Louis about what she had heard from his conversation with madam Denise. It seemed also that maybe madam Denise wasn't as kind and innocent as she looked. Although, Anna wasn't as innocent as she looked either, or harmless.

Anna turned a corner and saw Louis opening a door and entering, before it closed behind him. When Anna walked over to the door and saw personnel seulement, she smiled, and pulled open the door stepping inside.

It looked like it was the security room, and Louis Bernard was the only one inside. Seemed he was in charge of the security cameras throughout the opera.

Anna walked over to Louis, and when she stood a couple of steps behind him, she says quietly "what would Madam Denise have over you?". Louis turned to face Anna the moment he heard someone's voice, and when he looked at her his eyes widened. "If you understood that conversation, obviously you speak French, so how do you not understand the sign on the door?" Louis asks Anna, with his arms crossed over his chest, and he looked at her with disapproving eyes. "I could've swear it said, all with important news, do come in." Anna says innocently, and does her sweet little smile, eyes sparkling.

Louis shook his head. This girl was very stubborn, and of what has gone on at this opera house, he believed she may get hurt. "I don't know if I should tell you. You could get hurt, miss Spencer" Louis tells her as he turns in his seat towards the computers. "I'm not scared. I know enough of this investigation." Anna says as she walks over to Louis, and pulls his chair back around, "your sisters life's in danger. There were three others before her, and now Adelene has been killed to send a message to your sister." Anna tells Louis seriously, "now what does madam Denise have over you?" Anna repeats.

Louis was eyeing Anna, his eyes wide at what she had just told him, and he felt fear creeping up into his veins. "I..don't know. Your just a kid.." Louis says and Anna walks over to him, placing her hand comfortingly on his, "I might be young, but I have been through a lot" Anna tells him.

Then she got an idea. "I was in foster care for as long as I can remember. Never staying at one house for more than three months at most." Anna tells him, "And just a couple months ago I met my now adopted mother Diane Spencer."Anna tells him, as she explains a bit of her last. "But we can't let our past get to us Louis. And we have to be strong, and keep fighting" Anna says, and looks at him with hopeful eyes, hoping that her telling him about her past, will convince him to share his with her.

Louis felt conflicted. He had never told his sister the truth of what he had done in their neighbourhood, and he didn't want her to know. But he did it to protect her, and to help her get started on her career, so that they could leave the poverty they lived in at their orphanage.

But he knew that it would come someday, and if he didn't fess up, his sister would pay the price. The only family he had left.

Louis sighed. "I'm sure you know that it is just me and Nathalie" Louis says as he looks at Anna. Anna nodded. Louis took a deep breath. "Nathalie and I..our orphanage wasn't in a good area. Many of the other boys had to do the same thing I did to survive. And many of them had many siblings." Louis explains to Anna.

Anna sat down in the other leather chair, and made herself comfortable, before continuing to listen to Louis Bernard's story. "In our town there was a gang, it had a lot of influence in the area. Many of us orphan boys..we were usually there pray for new recruits" Louis tells Anna, as he leaned forwards in his seat. "They'd have us steal cars, and deliver them places, where I found out they were selling them for profit on the black market." Louis took another deep breath. He was beginning to reach the hard part of the story. "When I turned seventeen, Nathalie was thirteen. I was going to be able to take her and myself out of the orphanage in two months. But I couldn't allow her to get involved with the gang, and I couldn't stay in that town anymore. Not when she had so much potential." Louis whispers. "I told the police about a sale that was going to happen. The old leader of the gang was going to be there and everything." Louis says, "they went. Two policemen were shot, but survived. Four of the gang members were shot, one died. And the leader was arrested." Louis says, and Anna looks at him sadly. "They want revenge..?" Anna asks hesitantly. Louis nodded. "The second in command got information that I leaked it out to the cops. I took Nathalie, and drove us far away from there. I took her to Paris, and took out the money our parents had left us before the accident. Paid for a acting teacher, got her into Juilliard, I worked three different jobs, next I know is Nathalie tells me when she turned twenty two- that she was accepted to the opera house. Wanted me as her bodyguard and agent." Louis says and he smiled at the part of Nathalie getting what she always wanted.