Chapter 26

Edmon sets a brisk pace as we head down the spiral staircase at the end of our corridor and along several well populated corridors four pounding feet echoing on the stone floor. Many courtiers stop to watch as we pass all dressed in dark colours, a sign of mourning. It was clear we were in a hurry and by the curious stares we were getting they all wanted to know what the rush was about. None of them have ever known war, most of them would never have even been a part of a raid or a skirmish. Gods! And they were about to have to go to war. Following Edmon we stop outside a small, unassuming oak door at the end of one of the many corridors. The only difference with this door is the two guards standing on either side. They will have been instructed to only allow certain people past, how Edmon is going to be able to get me past them, I don't know. Allowing Edmon to keep a tight grip on my hand hem, nods politely to the two guards as they push open the door for him. I could tell by the tensing in his shoulders that he was preparing himself for a fight, he was ready to give orders to allow me to pass if he had to.

"Sorry sir, you can't go in there." It was the guard on the right who dared to challenge Edmon. I furrow my brow, sir? Doesn't my hair give me away? Surely they have noticed our entwined hands. They can't have been living in a hole for the past week or two, they must know of my story, of Edmon's story. I bite back a rude retort and instead I watch to see how Edmon handles this. Pausing he turns to address the soldier, each were wearing full armour, a sign that they were on duty, the gold breast plates indicate their ranks, these were two of the king's personal guard. Both hold a spear in one hand with their swords strapped to their waists, similar to mine. I understand they have a job to do but I still frown at them, surely the king would have summoned me too? The one on the right has light skin, probably from the north with dark hair and a crooked nose which has probably been broken at some point. The other has much darker skin, he must have come from one of the southern towns, his tall frame makes Edmon look small in comparison but the way he carries himself tells me he has much less grace than my prince. His black hair and hard eyes tell me he is a warrior, someone I would want at my back in battle. After all I was Edmon's soulmage but also his protector though admittedly that title was still under negotiation with recent events.

"She's with me," The guard sputters as he takes a step backwards, eyes flickering between me, Edmon and our hands, still entwined. His mouth hangs open, he opens and closes it a few times unsure how to respond. I would be laughing had I not been trying to keep my composure for what was about to come. The guard sighs in relief as his partner steps in to save him from more embarrassment.

"Our sincerest apologies My Prince and Lady," Our heads snap towards the darker skinned one his eyes softer then they had been, "We didn't recognise you."

"Thank you, we understand it will take some getting used to." I smile tightly up at the two of them ad Edmon addresses them both before towing me through the door. As soon as we have passed the door is shut behind us leaving us alone in the middle of a long, brightly lit corridor. There were two doors, one at either end of the corridor but otherwise it was completely deserted. He pauses to get his bearings before taking off to the left, heading straight for the door at the end. This was for safety I realise as I hurry after him. The narrow corridor would allow for one on one combat, much easier to defend in an invasion. Edmon stops just before he reaches the door and turns to look at me, his soft eyes look worried as he places his hands on my shoulder. His firm grip puts me on edge, he was struggling to hold in his emotions and I offer him a small smile in return hoping to reassure him and calm him slightly, "This isn't going to be easy Alesia, it won't escape their notice you are the first woman to enter this room. Don't let them get away with degrading you. There is little I can do to defend you in here, you will need to show yourself to be the Queen you will become." I rise up on my toes to press my lips against Edmon's in a quick chaste kiss, he allows himself to run the back of his hand down my cheek with a small smile, "Ready?" I nod.