Chapter 11

Clearing up camp was a quiet affair, all of us not particularly in a talkative mood, just wanting to get on the road and find our way back, to prove ourselves worthy. If we didn't have Balista in our sights by the end of today we were going to struggle to get back in the time limit set and if that happened we would be forced to take an extra six months training, something none of us wanted. We decided that only two of us should enter the village while the other two remain out here. In theory this would mean we would appear less threatening and the residents would be more inclined to help us. Leon and Rhoald volunteered as we didn't want Edmon recognised or anyone to laugh at me for being so small and seemingly weak.

Rhoald and Leon had left around an hour ago and we were expecting them back any minute. Edmon and I were just waiting with our backs resting against a tree practicing with small amounts of our magic, working on our minor control. I was currently levitating Edmon a small amount of the ground carefully pushing him up and controlling his decent. Edmon was working on this same skill but with stones and leaves knowing he wasn't quiet at the same stage with his self-control to test his powers on me yet.

"This spell. Do you think you can reverse it?" Asks Edmon, breaking our comfortable silence.

"I fear not. I fear the only way to stop the spell is to find the Mage behind it and kill them. I don't think we would be able to get them far enough away without causing the spell to grow and spread faster. There would be no one to control it though if that happens I may stand more of a chance at fighting it."

"Could I help?" Asks Edmon as he flings another stone into an ever growing pile.

"I'm not sure you have enough control yet. Sorry."

"No, I know I'm not as developed in my powers as you I just feel so helpless. I trust you. You know that." I nod.

"This prince? If it is him, how old do you think he would be? It might help us narrow it down significantly."

"That I don't know though if I were to guess I would say around our age. So around the seventeenth year. I wish I had paid more attention!" He sighs exacerbated by this whole exercise when he should be at the castle with his mother. I don't blame him really, I know that's exactly where I would want to be.

"You weren't to know that such a small and insignificant piece of information would be needed. I bet you anything if this prince is a similar age to us he would be training with us. I doubt he would be able to hack servancy in the palace after living as a noble for so long. Gods, I don't think I would be able to! Serving on the knights after dinner is bad enough and we only have to do that once a month, if that!" I try to lighten his mood but my words fall on deaf ears.

"You think he's training with us? You think he's spoken to me. Gods! He could be friends with us!"

"Hey, don't." I warn seeing how this conversation is going. As soon as he starts thinking like this is suspicions will rise and if that happens we might as well just tell everyone of what we are doing. I tell him just this pushing him up against the tree with my magic before standing straight in front of him and levitating myself to I can look him directly in the eye. I am almost nose to nose with him before I talk again.

"You start this and you will lose control Edmon. You start this and we will arouse suspicions. You do this and we stand no chance of saving your parents." I warn, my voice deadly quiet and threatening. I feel him sag against me as he gives up his internal battle.

"We will sort this but you need to keep a level head. Just leave it to me?" I ask as I carefully release him from my hold

"Keep me informed." His determination back in his voice as he gives me a cold calculate stare that would make me cringe away if I didn't know him better.