Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Even with the incident in the mess hall I was still one of the first to the training arena. I place myself off to one side in clear view of the four instructors. I was in the middle of a large courtyard, walled on three sides, the fourth side open to the stables and a few small fields beyond. The square has sectioned off into three main areas, hand-to-hand where there were a couple of thin crash mats, weaponry where there were four square duelling areas and the walls littered with an array of arms From long swords to double-sided axes and close to the stables stood targets or many shapes and sizes. Taking a deep breath I smell the ingrained sweat, sand and blood, this must be the primary training arena. I stand and watch as other young men filter into the arena and come to stand close to me. No one is talking to one another, everyone attempting to give off a good impression to our instructors by demonstrating any ounce of discipline they can. The Prince, Leon and Rafel had taken their places off to the side with the other trainees, all were stood casually watching my small group with interest. Once or twice I thought I caught coins changing hands. Were they really betting on us? I shake the thought

I take the remaining time to study my trainers.

As the bells ring sounding the start of the tribulation I find myself standing that bit taller. Taking notice of the other trainees I see that I am by far the smallest. There are around twenty of us and the majority are well defined and look dangerous with their muscly arms and broad figures. Clearly they have been training from a young age at whichever keeps they came from in the realm. To them I look like a weed but I don't let that both me. I know what I am capable of and all I need to do is show the trainees that.

'Welcome.' Calls a dark haired man wearing the gold tunic of the kings personal guard. 'I am Robert, second to the captain of the king's guard and am in charge of the new recruits this time round. You will be split into four groups and in turn we will put you through your paces. You need to use this time to show us what you are capable of. These next four hours will be some of the hardest of your lives and how you do in this time will determine how long you will be training here for. There is no maximum time so be sure to showcase you at your best. When I call your name, step forward.' He announces as he is handed a scroll. Breaking the royal seal he begins to unroll it and study the names.

'Mattius.' I watch as a blond boy around a year or two younger than me steps forward confidently, thrusting his chest forward and holding his chin high in an attempt to make a good impression. 'Daneel.' Another tall burly looking boy steps forward and it is clear that he will be good at the hand-to-hand combat. He is built for wrestling and I hope I don't have to show my worth against him, he would flatten me if I got too close. I don't have too long to ponder on how I would go about beating me as it is my name who is called out next. I freeze in place as Robert, the head trainer calls out my full title.

'Ali of Arttyell.' Even here, that title means something so I try and not let it get to me when there as an audible whisper and some hidden laughs as I step forward to join the other two. The last Arttyell to come to train was my cousin nearly five years ago. He was the epitome of tall dark and handsome and the Tyrells had a reputation as such.

I walk tall and proud, trying to ignore the muttering. Standing next to Mattius and Daneel I immediately feel small not even reaching either of their shoulders but I don't let this show and it could play to my advantage. I'm so lost in my thoughts that I barely notice the last to join our group though I do manage to catch his name, Alix. We are told that we are to follow the hand-to-hand instructor and we are instantly led off into the corner with the mats. Good, I think, at least I can get my weakest one out the way first, hopefully it will make me look better when it comes to the others, I can only get better from this.