Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I line up in front of our last encounter savouring the brief rest bite. I quickly wipe the sweat from my brow and wipe my hands on my breeches in an attempt to dry them off slightly. The heat from the day was just leaving and I could feel the return of the cool evening air. Just this last task and we would be finished.

"One to go." I mutter.

"One to go." Confirmed Leon as I once again catch his eye and smile.

"Together?" I ask as I look up the length of the wall in front of us. This was the castle wall and our job was to scale it as a team within the next two hours. It was practically a sheer cliff with only a couple of uneven rocks for hand and foot holds. This was going to be difficult but I had caught a glimpse of Edmon earlier and they made it to the small opening and climbed through it. That was our aim. Get through the window.

"Leave this to me." Sneers Mattius. He had been like this all day, looking down on me and Leon as if we were weak and worthless. I roll my eyes at him but stay quiet, determined not to retaliate.

"You realise this is a test of teamwork?" Asks Leon in a calm and quiet tone but by looking at his hands, balled into fists, I know he is close to bursting. I put a calming hand on his shoulder and give it a gentle squeeze. If he is not willing to work as a team anymore we can't be failed because of him.

"I work better alone." He states boldly as he turns and begins to attempt to scale the wall.

"The two of us will work as a team if he won't help." I whisper to him to neither Mattius or Aarol will hear. Leon nods in agreement as we turn a blind eye to Mattius who was now just above my head. "I have an idea. Find some rope, I'll find a bow and arrow." I instruct, Leon quickly disappears in hunt.

"If there anyone up there?" I ask Aarol not wanting to hurt anyone. "I just want to check that there no chance of accidentally embedding an arrow in someone." I confirm, giving him an idea of my plan to safely scaly the wall.

"No, it will be clear for you Ali." He says before stepping away and watching from a small, safe distance.

"How's this?" Asks Leon holding out a long length of rope. I take it and make a quick assessment, long enough, feels strong enough.

"Should work." I confirm, smiling up at him as I tie it to an arrow just in front of the feathers.

"What's going through your head Ali?" He asks while watching me and keeping an eye on Mattius who was now almost halfway up the wall. Internally I roll my eyes at his stupid behaviour.

"If I can get this arrow up to the window and get it wedged somewhere we can use it as a safety line as we climb up." I explain loud enough for Aarol and Mattius can hear me. "Plus I can then use my magic to get us up there without it being too obvious." I quietly explain and he nods in understanding.

"If it gets us through this quicker..." He drifts off, his attention taken by Mattius who was now hanging by his hands, his feet scrabbling for some kind of footing. He had slipped and there was no one up there to help him.

"Help!" He calls down to us. Oh now you want us to work as a team I think dryly knowing it is going to be up to us to save him. What a git.

"I'm not allowing either of us to climb up there without a safety line. We can't put ourselves in danger too." I state with no emotion as I try to keep my anger in check at his stupidity.

"Then get that line up there." states Leon in a similar tone while watching Mattius intently. I don't reply, instead I string my bow and take aim. Choosing my target through the window I hope I can use my magic to get this to stick somewhere and quick. As soon as I am happy I let my arrow fly and watch at the trail of rope follows it up and through the window. As soon as it has disappeared I take hold of it with my gold and drive the arrow into the far brick wall.