Prologue

"Good morning my love." My mother called as I hopped down the stairs a step at a time.

"Good morning momma. Can we watch Alice in Wonderland today?" I asked her excitedly as I reached the last step and ran over to her.

"Yes of course! But we won't have time to before you leave for school. So right after school we can order pizza and pop some popcorn and watch the movie." She said happily as she smiled down at me before I was grabbed and thrown over someones shoulder.

Screaming I began flailing around and laughing as I felt my Daddy tickle me. Running around the kitchen with me we all laughed as we goofed off.

"Put her down Richard, she has to eat her breakfast before she leaves for school." My mother chuckled as my dad put me down kissing my cheek before he walked over to my momma. Leaving them to do what ever it is momma's and daddy's do I began to happily eat my Fruit Loops.

"Come on sweetie. I'll drive you to school today." My Daddy said as I finished my cereal and stood from my seat. Running over to the stairs I grabbed my bookbag and slid into my shoes.

"Ready daddy. Momma said that when I get home we're gonnna order a pizza and make popcorn and watch Alice in Wonderland." I said excitedly as I skipped over to the front door.

"Really?" He asked as I shook my head vigorously making him chuckle. "Who's your favorite character, I bet I could guess." He said excitedly as he opened the front door and let me in before closing it behind him. "Since we do call you Chesh, would I be correct to assume it is the Cheshire cat?" He asked me as he picked me up and put me into the car, snapping on my seat belt.

"Yes!" I practically screached as I bounced up and down in the car.

That day I'd gone to school and was on my very best behavior.

I hadn't spoken a single word out of order or context today. For fear I would become out of line and my parents would be called. When the dismissal bell rang I hopped out of my seat excitedly and dashed out to my schools bus circle.

After a few stops and a lot of kids got off of the bus we were finally on my street. When the bus diver stopped I stood and skipped happily off of the bus. Seeing my house across the street I looked both ways and ran across. Hopping up the steps one at a time I turned the door handle and walked into the living room.

"Mommy, Daddy. I'm home!" I shouted as I looked over at the tv to see the Cheshire Cat grinning at me. Copying him I grinned and began to twirling over to the chair.

There was something about this cat that always made my day worth it. I could spend all day climbing up into trees and scaling there limbs learning how to blend into their leaves. The Cheshire Cat may be a fictional character but I looked up to him like a role model. Closing my eyes I leapt onto the couch, ramming into something hard and cold. Opening my eyes I looked right into the face of my Daddy.

"Daddy? Wake up, Alice in Wonderland is on." I said excitedly as I shook him. Putting a hand onto his chest I felt something wet and sticky. "Daddy?" I aid again as my breathing grew faster and my heart began to pound. "Daddy!" I screamed crawling off of him.

"Mommy! Daddy won't--!" I screamed running into the kitchen before tripping over my mother. She laid in front of the door in a pool of the same wet sticky red stuff Daddy had on him. "Mommy!" I screamed as the thought finally occurred to me.

Running over to the phone I dialed the number Mommy and Daddy always told me to call for emergencies.

"Hello. What is your emergency?" A lady said through the phone.

"My Mommy and Daddy won't wake up!" I screamed as my sobs wracked my little form. "They're both covered in this red wet sticky stuff! I'm scared!" I cried.

"It's alright sweet heart I'm sending someone to come and get you right now." The lady said calmly as I sat on the floor beside my Mommy. Holding her cold hand I continued to sit and cry. After a while I went back to Daddy and sat and laid my head on the other side of his chest.

The tv stopped and froze on a picture of the Cheshire Cat grinning directly into the camera. Copying him weakly, I fell asleep on my daddy's unmoving chest.

"Wake up pretty Kitty." A soft voice said from behind me. Waking up I see a glowing blue pool in front of me.

"Where am I?" I asked in my small frightened voice.

"Hush now my pet. Drink this and you shall never fear again. No one will ever hurt you." The voice whispered as I was handed a cup full of the glowing water.

"What is this?" I asked before a hand moved the cup to my mouth.

"Shush now. And drink." The voice sang. Taking three large gulps I swallowed the liquid feeling really dizzy I closed my eyes, falling forward. "No!" The voice yelled after me.

Screaming and thrashing in the water I only succeeded in swallowing more and more of the water. As it soaked my skin and hair and pulled me under.