Chapter Eighteen

The Front Lawn of Kennedy’s House

Saturday 30th November 1963

Jack was standing waiting till Pierre had finished briefing the press before going to talk to them. He was wearing a pair of trousers and a new shirt that Jackie had bought him. Jackie was beside him in a yellow dress and sandals; she could tell he was nervous.

“You ready bunny?” Jackie asked quietly taking his hand.

“Yes, can you stay beside me?”

“Of course.”

Jack leaned in and placed a kiss on her lips.

Once Pierre had finished Jack went and stood at the podium, Jackie was beside him with her hand on his back.

“Good afternoon.” Jack said.

The press nodded.

“Mr President?” One reporter called.

“Yes?”

“How are you feeling? Are your wounds healing?”

“I’m feeling a lot better; I’m not in as much pain. My wounds are healing I now just wear a patch to keep it clean.”

“Sir, Vice President Johnson has claimed that you aren’t coping mentally is that true?”

Jack turned to Jackie, she nodded.

“I wasn’t doing so well in the beginning but I’m okay now.”

“What did you do to help?”

“I talked to a few people who gave me some advice.”

“Have you started doing anything to help control your thoughts?”

“I….um started cooking.”

“Vice President Johnson also claimed that you and the First Lady had sex on Air Force One the day before the assassination attempt, is that true?”

Jack was silent for a moment. “Do you really think I’m going to answer that?”

The reporter shook his head.

“As I said my life with my wife and children is private.”

“When will you be returning to work?”

“I haven’t discussed it with my doctor or staff yet but I hope maybe next week some time.”

“Okay thank you.” Jack said before walking away. He turned and embraced Jackie tightly.

“You did well.” Jackie whispered.

“Thanks.”

“When do you hope to go back to work?”

“I was thinking we could go back to Washington on Wednesday and I could start back to work on Thursday.”

“That sounds like a plan.” Jackie smiled.

The couple headed to the private beach where Caroline and John were waiting.