Chapter Three

By 7am Jack was rumbling about. Jackie was asleep but was woken by Jack clambering about. “Jack what are you doing it’s 7am.”

“I know, I know I just couldn’t sleep.”

“We’re going to Camp David after your press conference.” Jackie said.

“Why?” Jack asked.

“To help you get back to normal.”

“I’M FINE!” Jack exclaimed.

“NO YOU’RE NOT JACK!”

Jack looked at her before breaking down in tears; he was kneeling on the floor sobbing. Jackie got out of bed quickly and got down beside him, she really didn’t know how to console him anymore.

She rubbed his arm gently as she felt his tears soaking her nightie. They were sitting on the floor when the door burst open, Bobby stood there utterly shocked at the sight of his brother.

“Jack…are you okay?” Bobby asked getting down beside his brother and sister in law.

He couldn’t stop crying he was burying his head further and further into Jackie. Bobby looked at Jackie. “Is he okay?”

Jackie shook her head. “He isn’t coping.”

“Maybe we should cancel the press conference.”

“No I think he needs to tell them what happened and that we’re going to Camp David.”

Bobby nodded. “Why don’t you go get dressed I’ll stay with him.”

“Thank you.” Jackie said before disappearing.

Once it was just the two brothers Bobby hugged Jack tightly. “I love you mate.”

Jack dried his eyes before looking directly at Bobby. “You’ve only ever told me that once before.”

Bobby laughed. “When?”

“When I came back from the war.”

“Oh yeah.” Bobby giggled. “Are you okay? We’re all worried about you.”

Jack sighed. “I thought I was alright till I started having these nightmares about Dallas with either me being killed or Jackie being killed it’s….it’s hell.”

“We’ll help you Jack, I promise. After you’re at Camp David you’ll be ok you’ll have privacy and time to recover.” Bobby replied.

Jack nodded. “I suppose. I’m scared about the press conference.”

“Why?”

“Just the noise and flashes of the cameras.” Jack said.

“I’ll ask the press to take it easy on you.”

Jack smiled. “Thank you Bobby, I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

Bobby grinned. “You’d miss me!”

“Sadly I probably would.”

The brothers hugged before getting to their feet. “I’ll help you into your suit.”

“Thanks.”

They smiled at each other realising just how much they meant to one another.