Chapter Twelve

27th November 1963

Kennedy’s Bedroom

8am

“MUMMY! DADDY! WAKE UP IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!” Caroline exclaimed as she jumped on the bed.

Jackie woke up slowly, she sat up and hugged Caroline but Jack hadn’t moved. “Where’s John?” Jackie asked.

“He went downstairs.”

“Ok, why don’t you go down and find him we’ll meet you there.”

Caroline smiled before dashing out of the room. Jackie turned to her husband and gently poked him.

He woke up startled and looked up. “Jackie.”

“Bunny what’s wrong?”

“N…nothing.”

“Jack?”

“I had a bizarre dream, we were in the motorcade but there were no shots and we both lived it was really strange.”

“Eh Jack, we did both live.”

Jack chuckled slightly. “I know that.”

Jackie grinned before kissing him. “Your little buttons is waiting get downstairs.”

The couple dressed before heading downstairs. Caroline was sitting staring at the pile of presents. “Open them!” Jack smiled.

Caroline charged towards them and started unwrapping them. John was sitting laughing.

“Thank you so much Mummy Daddy! I love this doll.”

“You’re welcome buttons.” Jack smiled.

“Open mine!” John squealed.

Caroline found John’s and opened it. She smiled it was a toy horse. “Thank you John I love it.”

“Yay!”

Jack laughed, he loved watching his children.

The Garden 7pm

“Daddy!” Caroline exclaimed as she tried to get out of Jack’s arms. He was tickling her which really she was enjoying.

John was sitting yawning so Jackie took him to bed.

“Daddy please stop.” Caroline smiled.

“Ok buttons.” Jack replied sitting up.

Caroline cuddled in and took his hand. There was a silence before either of them spoke.

“Daddy?”

“Yes buttons?”

“I’m glad you’re alright I was worried about you. I thought you were dead but once I saw you and Mummy walking to the plane I knew you were okay, I cried knowing you were alive.”

Jack looked at his daughter. “How did you see the TV?” Jack asked trying to hold back his tears.

“I went into Mrs Shaw’s room when I was meant to be napping.”

Jack kissed the top of her head.

“I love you Daddy.”

“I love you too buttons.” Jack replied wiping his tears away.

“Why are you crying?”

“No reason buttons.” Jack whispered.

Caroline wrapped her arms round his neck and hugged him tightly, he wrapped her in his arms too, never wanting to let go.

They were still hugging when Jackie returned; she smiled before sitting down in one of the chairs.

When Caroline got up she took Jack’s hand. “Can you please come tuck me in?”

“Of course buttons.”

The two then disappeared.

Jackie was deep in thought; she couldn’t imagine what she would have done if Jack had died, how she would have raised the kids or how she would have coped. She was wiping her eyes when Jack returned. He sat down on the edge of Jackie’s chair and wrapped her in his arms. “It’s okay kid.”

Jackie leaned against him. “I love you Jack, I never want to leave you ever.”

“I’m never going to leave you ever Jackie, I love you so much.”

They kissed before going inside to the sitting room.