Chapter One

Jack was lying on the sofa in the private sitting room in a pair of slacks and a t-shirt. He kept visioning Jackie, the way she had moved to grab her neck replacing her beautiful smile with a look of worry and shock on her face. Then….then the blood seeping out of her head in to his suit. Her beautiful brown eyes were fixed open, his head leaning against hers praying for her not to let go.

How he’d whispered “Please don’t leave me Jackie I love you… I love you.”

He had tears streaming down his face as he thought of Jackie, his heart ached.

He then remembered the scenes at the hospital, his wife lying there her beautiful pink suit being cut off, people yelling telling him leave but he couldn’t he couldn’t walk away from his wife. He got down on his knees and prayed realising Jackie’s blood was on his hands. He stood watching till the doctor walked up to him.

“I’m so sorry Mr President…. She didn’t make it.”

He stood there shaking, moving his gaze from the doctor to his wife lying on the bed. He walked over quietly and slipped his hand into hers. He placed his head against hers and his tears began to fall. He was sobbing audibly when her name escaped his mouth. People began silently exiting the room giving the President some privacy.

“Oh Jackie, I’m so sorry. I love you so much.” Jack sobbed before kissing her cheek.

He suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder. “Come on Jack, it’s going to be okay.” Kenny whispered.

“Leave me alone.”

“Jack.”

“LEAVE ME ALONE.”

Kenny obliged and backed out of the room.

He snapped out of his memory quickly by the pounding on the door. “Jack, come on we need to talk.” Bobby called.

Jack remained silent; Bobby had been camped outside the residence since the funeral. Jack hadn’t been seen since Jackie’s funeral he couldn’t face it. The only time he’d been last seen was when he was about to jump of the Truman balcony but an agent had stopped him. Caroline and John were still with Jackie’s mum he couldn’t face them right now.

He got up quickly and pulled a jacket, hat and sunglasses on. It was past 11pm when he opened the door, Bobby was lying asleep in the corridor, Jack quickly walked past him.

He made his way down to the secret service headquarters. Without saying anything Jack grabbed a set of car keys and walked off. His agents followed him as he drove off in the car.

He made the ten minute drive to Arlington Cemetery. He then went to Jackie’s grave. He took one look at it before falling to his knees, he was in tears again. He moved closer to it before sitting down beside the headstone.

“J…Jackie I love you, I’m sorry I let this happen.” Jack sobbed.

He was tracing her name with his finger when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up to find Clint Hill standing above him. “Mr President it’s going to be okay.”

“Jackie…” Jack sobbed clinging to Clint’s leg. Clint hunched down beside the President and wrapped his arms round him. “Mrs Kennedy would want you to be strong, taking charge, looking after your children.”

Jack nodded. “I miss her Clint, I miss her.”

“I know Sir, things will get easier.”

Jack composed himself and sat up. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright Sir.”

Jack got to his feet and kissed Jackie’s grave before heading back to the White House.