Escape Plan

Chapter 20- Zane

     This position we had been sitting in for who knows how long, is completely uncomfortable. Although, that most likely is the goal with our imprisonment here, make us uncomfortable so we would do anything to leave. However, through training we had been taught how to focus our minds on other things and plan things to numb any discomfort or pain. That is why being tortured doesn’t have very much effect on us, because we can dull the pain centers of our minds and focus on many more things, like the weather, or our Bonds.

     Oh, Pandora! I wonder how the Connection went, but I could sense vaguely that she is okay. With Bonds, we can sense them over great distances, no matter how weak our mental abilities were. Tallik, by far, is the most powerful. He could mot likely contact the Captain or General, or and anyone else if he so chooses. But, I know he won’t. One, he doesn’t like to, and two, it exhausts him very much mentally.

     Right now, he’s focusing on reading the minds of our captors, not asking for a rescue mission because this might be the only opportunity to ‘see’ into this complex tunnel system. With the tunnels, I did wonder how they made them so quickly, but I know this isn’t their home world. Many centuries ago a super nova, which heated up their planet, and then the black hole that sucked it in destroyed the Volddin home world. Many didn’t escape, but the ones that did have continued to threaten and terrorize the people in this quadrant.

     The only thing that confuses me now though, is why they never found out about Earth. Believe me, I’m glad they didn’t, because the humans could never defend themselves. Not against the Volddin, and we would become part of the alliance again and help Earth. The alliance is a group of races, mine included, that would defend against the Volddin. Earth is like a child compared to us, and that’s why we would defend it. They have no weaponry or defense systems that could withstand an army of that size, and even if they did, the loss of life would be devastating.

     I hold back those thoughts though, is I am not careful those thoughts might transfer to someone else. I glance over at Tallik, who is searching through the vast network of minds, and know he must be in pain. I could tell, what with the creased forehead and tense position, he’s just trying not to show it.

    “Tallik, you can rest,” I order.

     His eyes flutter open with a glazed look, “I need the colony to be safe. I could not stand if Serena or anyone’s Bond got harmed.” I nod, and let him carry on.

    His abilities are like a field, and everyone field has limits. Only, when we Corillians break that barrier it snaps back in place, almost like a rubber band. Which hurts. Blood is coming out of his nose and I hear a ringing noise go through my head. Nudging Tallik, his eyes shoot open and the ringing stops.

     “What do you think you were doing? Do you want to kill everyone here?” True, they are our enemies, but that did not mean I want their minds to explode inside their skulls or them to be permanently paralyzed. Yes, we do have that ability, but only in rare cases.

     “Sir, I was only trying to break loose these cables. I have gotten all the information we need, and I wouldn’t have killed them, only stunned.” Glancing over, I see him wiping away the blood and know he must have been trying to stun everyone.

     Only, it did not work for him. Only confused their minds so they would forget their thoughts about work or even what they had just been thinking about, that, I could sense.

     “Let us both try to loosen the cables,” I whisper. So, both of us use all of our power to melt away at the cables binding us, or rather the bolts in the cables.  Tallick catches the bolts in the air, and drops them to the ground noiselessly.

     Smirking, we slip our armor back on, and go invisible. Something about this is too easy though, so we make sure to confuse everyone up to the point where they’re walking into walls and saying incoherent words. The two guards watching us from behind the invisible screen are mumbling something, and we turn on the distorter on our suits. This will not make us completely invisible, but it will conceal us. Enara is walking done the tunnel nearest us, clutching her head, so we knock her unconscious with my stun gun.

     I see the moonlight at the beginning of the tunnel and walk slower. Tallik and I both know this will not be unguarded. I see ten Volddin, all trying to regain composure, but my partner makes quick work of that. This time, his nose bleeds again, but all the people at the entrance lose consciousness.

I want to do a little victory dance at how easy it was, but think otherwise. We need to get back and Tallik needs to share his information. Treading off into the deep woods, I see the distant lights of the colony, but know that they can’t see us yet. Sentry cameras were installed earlier nearer to the colony and the outskirts of it, not this far out. I hear a twig snap and whirl around with my gun. What I see, surprises me.

     “Captain?” Tallik asks.

     “Pandora?” I gasp loudly; she’s wearing black armor and has a weapon of her own.

     “Hey…Zane…” Pandora mutters.