Autopilot

Chapter 9: Pandora

After seeing Jade, I felt very relieved. I’m glad I’m not the only one that can’t resist how nice they are to us. Although, since I’ve been here I haven’t seen anyone but Jade, so I don’t know how others are being treated. The treatment is nice though, especially if people aren’t normally like that to you. I mean people are, but only a handful of people who are either family, or friends since near childhood.  This realization is somewhat sad, but ultimately, a better one than I normally would have come up with. I in the future am going to die here, never going back home.

I just lie in my new bed, taking in the darkness and scents. I really do like how he smells, despite how that observation makes me feel. I hope Zane won’t make me get out of bed. Today is going to be one of the days. One of those days where no matter what you do you can’t be happy, or really energized. Today, like all days, is going to be tough. That I know. To not just keel over though, I have to sleep as much as I can. Who knew that being pregnant has that effect on people? How did my mother not just sleep all day? Oh, wait; this is an alien baby Panda. So silly Pandora, remember that next time. My thoughts are so annoying sometimes. Not that that’s a bad thing of course, better to be annoying than intolerable.

I feel off, kin of some weird high. This baby is making me feel so weird, and I think looking at the baby book was making me have strange dreams. I wanted to have a child on my own terms, and the more I think about it the more negative I feel. Maybe I could think of names? Jacob, Arrya, Mara, Hailey, or maybe Zack. That would be funny, Zane and Zack. I really do like uncommon names, common names just irritate me.

Zane looks through the doorway, illuminating my face. I feign sleep, and wait until the light disappears. He leaves the door slightly open, and I see him typing more onto the monitor. Does this guy ever sleep? Every time I say I’m going to sleep he all but tucks me in and works more. That would be odd, never sleeping. I wouldn’t like that feeling, I happen to like my dreams. Or at least the dreams that aren’t nightmares. I feel the air shift, probably the arrival of Zane. But instead, I see nothing, my eyes flutter open in panic. Before I can stop myself, a small gasp comes out of my mouth, and I sit upright. “Who’s there?” I can’t help but not question.

“Panda? Good, you’re awake. I was hoping you would want some breakfast before I leave.” I can’t see where he is, but I can hear that his voice is right next to me.

“ Yeah, thanks. Where are you going?” I ask.

“A meeting. There is something of interest coming up ahead, so we’re taking precautions.” Zane says, his voice guarded and steely.

“Something dangerous I’m guessing by your voice?” I can almost see him glare out the window.

“Yes, and you’re completely safe. So stay put, I’ll make some breakfast and be back as soon as I can.” He pats my shoulder, and heads off. That was awkward?

I didn’t want to get up, really, but I need to get up. Be ready for the day anyways. Not that I get to go anywhere though, just maybe explore his room more. Zane made breakfast in record time; I guess he really is in a hurry. He places the meal on the counter. “Goodbye, I’ll be back soon.” I can tell he doesn’t want to leave, and that he’s a little nervous.

“Wait!” I call out, he just turns sideways. His back to the corridor outside. “I forgot to give you a hug!” I bound toward where he is and give him a semi-long hug to keep him guessing. Plus, kissing up to him would get me information about the meeting-taking place.

“Bye, Panda…” He mumbles, practically bounding toward the elevator, or Turbo Lift as he told me. I laughed when he told me because it sounded just like Start Trek. He just scowled into the window.