I See You Heal

Chapter 11: Jade

       I watch Jett through the tent, seeing his chest rise and fall. I don’t know if he realizes I’m here, and after what happened before the destruction of the ship I don’t think he should. If he sensed me, all he would feel would be my pain at seeing sticky red slash pink blood drip down his face. The surge of electricity from the wires had damaged something deep down, and it worries me greatly. I look at the two moons in the sky, and turn back to Jett, still in the cot, not moving a great deal. Waking up Pandora might be a good idea, but with these growing children in us, I realize she needs her sleep, and I also knew she might need some alone time with Zane. Alone time that she said nothing interesting happened in, I chose not to believe her.

         Not that I’m saying they did anything, but I know that they probably talked somewhat. After all, Pandora told me about her crush on Zane, which I approved of. I light stir on Jett’s cot wakes me from my thoughts, and I just see him turn in his sleep. I lightly stroke his head, and one of his eyes blinks open. A young doctor rushes in, shining a variety of instruments in his eyes and scanning his body. He leaves and pulls the curtain to give us some privacy.

       “Jett, can you hear me?” I ask, my voice pleading for something to get through.

       “Yes, I just feel sort of…dazed.” Jett’s voice is gruff, and he coughs into his white sleeve.

      “You’ve been out for awhile. I worried you wouldn’t wake up after that surge.” I tell him honestly, keeping my eyes on his pale face. Paling from the treatments and effort taken to ensure his recovery.

       “I’ll always wake up with you here…” He says, taking his gaze towards the moons, and smiling.

        I smile back. “A little corny. But nonetheless, a nice thing to say.” His eyes turn a vibrant purple, and he moves his sight to look deep into my eyes. I look away, fearing I gave too much of my worrisome thoughts to be picked up by his abilities.

       “I caused you pain…” He mumbles, closing his eyes. Crap.

        “Mostly worry, I’ve never seen so much…blood. It makes me slightly nauseous.” I say, and his head snaps up to look me dead in the face. I flinch at intensity of his gaze.

        “Why did you watch? You could have gone back to our tent and waited until I came back…” Jett’s face contorts with irritation and pain as a wire stuck in his arm vibrates.

         “I cannot wait while someone I love is in pain!” My voice rises before I can stop the noise from disrupting the temporary hospital.

         “You love me?” Jett asks, his eyes going tender and honey colored.

          “I-I…don’t know what to say…” I stutter out, not wanting to believe I said I loved him. I wasn’t sure if I did, and if I did, what was I to do?

          “Jade, look at me.” Jett says, even his voice turning to dripping honey like his eyes.

          I look at him, startled that he raised himself from the bed and was right next to my face. “What?” I ask, my voice quiet and soft.

          “Do you?” I hesitate, and my waiting makes his face turn into the look of a sad puppy out in the rain. Only puppies don’t have blue and purple eyes.

          “Yes…” I answer, not wanting to look at him, knowing full well I just told him how I felt fully. He sensing my fear and slight hesitation, cups his hand under my chin.