Smile for Me

• Dedicated to To my cat, Princess, who woke me up and gave me a lovely idea

-Sorry for the short chapter, things have been hectic for me. ;p

Chapter 6: Zane

I don't know how she entered my dreams. Perhaps I let her, accidently of course. I didn’t think it possible for her to respond to me reaching out mentally in my sleep. After all, she’s Human, with no mental abilities like mine whatsoever. I remember my dream, and think; she must have seen it all. For the look she gave me when I woke her up was clearly confused. I only felt her presence because of her dream self no wanting to kiss me. After that, I woke up and sensed Pandora still in my head.

She didn’t need to see that, and the fact that she was in my blankets probably added to her suspicion. I certainly don’t want her finding out yet. Because telling her the reason I choose her was love would certainly frighten her. I really don’t know with Humans, but she seems different. I still don’t want, nor need to ask her how she feels about it though. For now, she can sleep, deeply I hope. I don’t feel like talking to her, because each time I make a fool of myself or make her further hate me. So much for good impressions, but it was the way for all of us. Bad impressions anyway.

I hear her mumble in her sleep about sunshine, and then she lapsed back into deep REM sleep. Which is what we call sleep when you’re actually obtaining energy growth from it. Everything about us is advanced, science, medicine, and everything. So I can see why a more primitive race would be alarmed, she was. But this bothered me; did they really think no one else was out there? Surely someone knew down there, right? There’s no one to answer my thoughts, but I wish there was.

I feel her aura change, and yes we can detect auras, emotions, etc., many things. It changes from confusion to an emotion I don’t understand, and it’s stronger than all the rest. I almost pull myself into her mind with all my mental ability to sense auras. She mumbles, and stirs slightly; I think she can sense my presence in her mind. Her aura continues with the strong emotions, which almost blew me away because while we have stronger emotions. We don’t show them very often.

Before I have time to warn myself, I pull myself into her mind. Which is currently dreaming. I find myself on a sunny beach somewhere. I walk toward a large sun umbrella and pause. I see her legs poking out from underneath the cover of the shade. She appears to be wearing a white and beaded swimsuit, her eyes closed. Could she really be sleeping in her dream? Her eyes don’t open until a bird chirps next to her perch, and her eyes flutter open. Dazzling me when they look so full of life and purity. I think this is a dream where you can control; hence, she will know and remember I’m in her dream. If I so choose to reveal myself or talk to her, and she can talk back. I step forward, and see hears my feet on the sand.

“Hello?” She calls, not remembering if there’s any else she let be in her dream. “Jade is that you, don’t you dare sneak up on me…” She giggles, and turns around quickly, standing while doing so. Seeing me, she doesn’t complete her 180 and she falls down. Me catching her in my arms.

“How. Did. You. Get. In. Here?” She pauses at each word. “It was an accident.” I reply, and her frown goes away.

“Why do you keep popping up in my dreams? I don’t like it…” She murmurs, her eyes to the soft white ground beneath her. I can tell she’s lying, she likes having me in her dreams, but she feels like she’s betraying something.

“Well the first dream was mine, so really you popped up in mine.” I pause; she doesn’t seem to appreciate my logic.

“Why were you dreaming of me kissing you?” And to this I had no answer. “I have no idea…”

“I think you do, because no matter what. You always seem to invade my personal thoughts or space.” This time, she’s seething.

“It’s not like I try to invade your space, but you seem so intent on pushing me away.”

“I’m intent on it because you kidnapped, even if it is for a good cause! I want to go home, and despite all the problems I have at home I want to leave this place. Why? Why did you have to take us?!” Her voice breaks, and she puts her head in her hands.

“I chose you for a very specific reason. One because I like you. Two, because you have fight and sprit in you like so many others. You never seem to give up!” My voice rises, and she lifts her head up.

“Can you leave, I need time to think?” She asks, which of course I have to give because this is her dream. “Of course…” I step away and exit her dream. Waking up in my bed with cold sweat everywhere.

Even if you’re good at this it takes a lot out of you to go into other people’s minds, and it’s rude as well. Although when I was a kid I would always go into Jett’s mind and we would talk. I think it really scared her when she saw my dream. I don’t think she feels the same way I do, and I don’t expect her to. Or at least not yet. She slept less soundly after that; I could see the heartbeat on her neck, as well as her uneven breathing through the wall. Pandora certainly didn’t need all of this to happen to her, and I do realize why there is some part of her that is happy to be here. I guess her life had been pretty difficult before we took her, as well as Jade’s life.

Pandora didn’t elaborate on her life, and I don’t want to ask her until she warms up to me. It had only been a week, but maybe a lifetime for her. Humans had a tendency to not count time as we do. Time isn’t really all too important in the year range. Although we do count it, years go slower for us because we age a lot slower than they do. I check on her again, still sleeping. Is that all she does, sleep and complain? Not that I care, I just don’t want her moping all the time. I can sense her dream now, and based on her heart rate, it must be a nightmare. I could comfort her, but she did tell me to leave, so I will honor that.

I go about my duties, and wait for Pandora to wake up. But this can't wait; I walk over to Jett’s after I lock her in the room. I knock on the door, and he opens it, surprised. “Zane? I didn’t expect you to be here…”

“This is urgent.” I whisper. He motions to the door, and I see Jade sitting up on the monitor.

“What is she doing?”

“Learning about our culture, she seems more calm now. I think she’s interested in medical science. The doctor might want to meet her.” He chuckles, and she turns to look at us.

“Where is Panda? She isn’t with you…” Her eyes look at the floor.

‘She’s sleeping in the other room. And when she wakes up, she can come over.” She looks back at the screen, trying to distract herself from our attention. I turn over to Jett, who’s smiling like a child on holiday.

‘What?”

He whispers to me. “She’s warming up to me.”

“That's good, but Pandora isn’t…”

“Well, Jade talks highly of her Zane. It’s not as if she isn’t well-liked, but I’m guessing she has other problems and this just added to it.” Jett tells me wisely. I wish she would tell me what troubles her. I hear a signal from my COMM badge, and tell Jett I have to go. While I graciously say goodbye to Jade, she just blushes. I don’t think these two women were used to people being nice to them.

I open the door and find Pandora, or ‘Panda’, sitting on the couch. “Good morning, or should I say good evening.”

“I did sleep awhile didn’t I? Is that something that happens with pregnant people?”

“I’d have to ask the doctor. I honestly don’t know…” I trail off.

“Is it like this for all your people? You know, not really knowing anything about the other gender?”

“Well we haven’t really been with another gender for a long time you know.” She giggles, and I notice her beautiful smile. “What are you staring at?” She asks.

“Your smile, it’s very beautiful.” Her blush makes her face a bright soft pink. I smile too, and notice her heart beat speed up before she looks away.