chapter 15

"Have a nice summer, Rin-chan!"

"Ah, you too!"

Rin bade all of her classmates and her teacher a quick farewell and took off down the hall.

Where is he? Rin thought, frustrated, as she attempted to stuff all of her belongings into her book bag while running. We need to hurry and go home so we can get ready for the party. Ugh, the party…

Len had vanished from the classroom, along with Meiko, which made a reason for Rin to be concerned.

But Len's not that kind of person, right? Rin thought. At least not anymore, anyways…Ah! Maybe he's at Kaito-Sensei's!

Rin took a turn and ran down the familiar hallway that led to Kaito's office. Just before she reached the door, she bumped into someone.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" Rin exclaimed. She looked down and saw Teto kneeling down on the ground, gathering up some papers. "I'm really sorry, Kasane-san. I was in such a hurry, I didn't even notice…"

"It's okay," Teto said in a surprisingly sweet tone. "By the way, Meiko-chan's party has been canceled!"

"Huh? Really?" Rin asked, her eyes widening in surprise. Thank goodness, she thought, a wave of relief washing over her. I really didn't want to go at all. I wouldn't have had anything to wear to it, anyways!

"Yep. I don't really know why, though…Meiko-chan said she had some important business and had to cancel," Teto said, shrugging. "Anyways, um, I guess I'll be on my way now. Have a nice summer!"

"You too!" Rin replied, and continued to make her way to Kaito's office.

It was quiet along the stretch of hallway near his office since there were no classrooms, just a few empty spare rooms used by the clubs. Rin cautiously reached for the brass doorknob but something stopped her. She could hear a voice—a girl's voice to be exact, and it sounded horribly familiar. Rin froze.

"No…it can't be…" Rin breathed, her mouth falling open in shock. "Her…here to see…Kaito-Sensei?"

Rin could barely make out the words that were being said, but it definitely sounded like…Meiko.

"Mmm…you know what? I'd rather have you over Len-kun any day," Meiko sighed happily. "You do it even better than he does."

"Can't you stay a little longer, Meiko-chan?" Kaito purred seductively. "We were just getting started."

"Later, come to this address," Meiko said. "And then we can…you know…talk some more."

"Of course," Kaito replied. "See you later, Meiko-chan."

"Ta-ta, Kaito-kun," Meiko said flirtatiously, and she began to head for the door.

Oh crap, I gotta get out of hereRin thought frantically, whisking herself away from the door as if it were on fire. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap

"I need to find Len now—uwaaah!" Rin gasped as her foot caught on a loose strap from her bag and she ended up sprawling onto the ground. "Ouchies…"