Chapter 10:

[Unedited]

(Kayani)

"Come on Angel a few more bite then we have to go brush our teeth and then bed, okay." I told him, squeezing his food filled cheeks.

It was current 1:35 in the night at the Esposito household as Angelo and I munched on Gigi's homemade Pelmeni that she made earlier on. He was feeling hungry and so was I, resulting in us snacking on one of the few things Gigi can make that taste good.

"Sì mamma." He answered, chewing the dumpling with his mouth wide open.

I screwed up my face in disgust as I watch the food circulate in his mouth. "Angelo Giulio Esposito, what have I told you about chewing like that." I said scowling. Instantly his mouth closed and the unbearable smacking of the food being chewed stopped. "Good boy."

I sighed loudly and put my face in my palms as I watched Angelo eat. The Esposito gang called earlier to tell me that no one would love be home until at least 3 AM since the birthday boy didn't want anyone to leave and ordered anyone seen trying to escape be shot on sight? That sick fucker Nick.

"Mamma?" Angelo called out, waving his small hand in front of my face. I hummed and looked across the table to show I was paying attention to him. "When is my real mommy coming ba-"

His sentence was cut off by the sound of two gunshots followed by the sound of broken glass hitting the floor. I'm first on my feet as I ran around the table and grabbed Angelo, before putting him inside a cupboard under the island where we were eating. "Stay here and be silent, okay baby." I whispered to him. "Don't come out until I tell you." He nodded understandingly with a spoon of Pelmeni still in mouth. I smiled and kissed his forehead before quietly shutting the cupboard door. The only time that a house full professional assassins and thief's all decided to go out is the time when someone decides to break in. The irony.

I crouched beside the kitchen's island and searched for a gun under it. One thing I've learnt from being with the Esposito for over ten years, is that there had to be at least one gun and knife strapped under any and everything in this house that would be easy to reach but out of sight. I sighed in relief as I my hand finally touched a gun underneath the island's table.

I heard loud footsteps against the tile floor coming my way, indicating that the intruder was inside the the kitchen with us. I inhaled deeply, back pressed against the cool cupboard Angelo was in, as my hand securely wrapped around the gun. In a swift movement, I jumped to my feet and with a loud scream pulled the trigger of the gun, letting a bullet pierce through the perpetrator without a second shot.

My screaming stopped as I opened my eyes and saw bleeding intruder standing in the middle of the kitchen with a confused eyebrow raised high. "Giovanni?" I proclaimed, relaxing my stance. "What the fuck man!" I lowered my gun and rested it on the table.

"Is that Pelmeni on the table?" He asked calmly, like there wasn't a bullet lodged between his shoulder. It's like he couldn't feel it.

My mouth widen in shock. "Really that's the first thing you want to say?" I asked in disbelief.

He shrugged and walked over to the table. "I'm hungry." He dropped his gun and picked up the fork I was using and helped himself to the meat and vegetable filled dumplings.

"Were you the one shooting?" I asked, seeing no gun on his person. Maybe someone tried to break in and Gio killed them by shoving them into the window. It wouldn't be the first time.

"Yes." He answered flatly.

"Was someone at the door?"

"No." Well there goes my theory.