Chapter 4

The front door was open when we finally arrived. That's normal for this time of year when the weather is nice. We leave it open so the nice air can come and go, but also so people know that if they need something they can come to us. It's always been a policy with my family that we share what we have with everyone, make everyone feel welcome, and most of all, listen to anything they might have to say. There has been many a time in my life that people have gotten lost in these wooded area's and found our house in the thicket. We've helped many people and mom always made me cook up a nice hot plate for them. Maybe that's why I have a love of sharing my food.

Walking in, I called out for my brother. "Ikuto! Are you home?"

"What do you want?" Ya little twerp... I led Choji into the kitchen and messed up Ikuto's hair as I went by. "The heck was that for? And who's this guy?"

"Be nice twerp. Did you eat?"

"Yeah, I ate the shumai." Aw man, I wanted that. Ikuto took a seat at the table and was counting out seeds for his garden. Choji sat near him and talked to him a bit while I tossed the food from the bag in the microwave. Taking the soda's from my pocket, I set them on the table and hung my apron on a hook by the back door. Ikuto was happily bragging about his veggies being the secret to my cooking. Something that is only partially true and something Choji just nodded his head and smiled at.

"Okay, enough stories. I need tomatos. Go." He lept up and dashed into the back yard where his garden is with a bright smile. It's like flipping a switch. Ask him to do something in the garden and he is no longer my twerpy little brother. I set the plate of munchies on the table and sat next to Choji, turning the TV on in the process.

We shared the plate of scraps and made fun of TV for awhile. It actually was pretty fun. "Hmm, being robbed. Seems legit." I laughed happily at his joke. My little monster needs no explanation if you just accept it. He took another piece of the dried meat and popped it in his mouth. That grin. That's what I love to see. Good food brings out so many emotions. And that smile right there is my favorite thing in the world.

He noticed me staring and his cheeks turned a little pink. Oh how cute! "W-what is it?"

I gave him a gentle smile. "I was admiring your smile." Choji's eyes grew wide andhis face turned even more pink, oh I just had to laugh! I took a piece of the dried meat and looked at it carefully. "When you eat something really good, what do you think about?"

At first, he seemed confused by my question. His eyes held an answer, but he did't seem to know how to voice it. "... Like... what do I think about the food?"

I let a soft laugh pass through my lips. "No. Like... how do I say this... when you eat something delicious, what does that feeling bring you? What does it make you think about?"

"Well... what does it make you think about? Give me an example."

"I don't know." He seemed confused by my statement, and also my smile, but I looked into his dark eyes with reverence. "I'm still trying to figure that out for myself. But it's a peacful feeling. Like being wrapped in a soft warm blanket."

Choji's expression as I popped the dried piece in my mouth was interesting to say the least. I had to laugh at him. It was an interesting time with him. He had so many stories of him and his teammates. And each one was better than the last. I looked over to my counter as I thought of this and my eyes rested on my little green box of recepies. That's right.

"You know, I'm trying to create a new recipie. I'm having trouble getting it right though." I looked to him with a smile. "Would you mind... coming back and being my critic?"

He looked at me with a stunned expression and his cheeks turned a pretty shade of pink. "Of course! I'd love to help!" His enthusiasm was adorable and I giggled again. What a fantastic man. Finally, it came to the point that he needed to head home or else his mom would 'bust a nut'. I saw him to the door. "Thanks for hanging out with me today." I said.

"Are you kidding? This was great! We should do this more!"

"Heck yeah!" Oh joy, you flood my heart like the forty day rain. "Bring your teammates if you want. There is always food to be eaten here." He waved as he left and I waved back. I love having new friends.