Chapter 24

For several days Ino and Choji ran all over creation, gathering information and making plans to rescue Shikamaru. I was a bundle of nerves, finding myself pacing back and forth in Reira's room at the hospital most of the time. The poor girl has been freaking out since we told her what happened. But to be fair... we all have. There is little to no information on the people that took Shikamaru, and the possibility of something happening to him...

I shook my head as I returned to cutting a small batch of peppers. My foot was tapping fast and sporadic. It was messing up my cutting rhythm. Everything in me was thrumming with the need to do something to help my friend. But there was nothing I could do but sit back and wait. Choji's arms wrapped around my waist from behind, his cheek against my neck. "You keep stopping."

With my knife on the cutting board, I turned and wrapped myself around him, taking in the warmth of his skin. His heart beat soothingly under my hand as I smoothed my fingers across his chest. "I haven't been sleeping well..."

The feeling of Choji's fingers in my hair was pure heaven to my tired body and mind. My mind wouldn't stop, bringing my anxiety to a level I had never dealt with before. But being with Choji was like floating on my back in cool pond on a summer day. Calm. God I felt so calm there. For the first time in days, since Shikamaru went missing, I was breathing evenly and could feel my energy draining like I was ready to drop.

Choji ,of course, hadn't been around as often these past few days due to search preparations. And even when he was, he was a bundle of nerves sitting at my table. He hadn't been eating properly. And by the look of the dark circles under his eyes he had gotten just about as much sleep as I had. I felt a light kiss on the top of head. "I know." Choji breathed, his arms tightening just slightly. "We'll find him, Al. I promise." I knew he was saying it more for himself. But it did make me feel better.

"I know." My eyes lifted to his. He looked so tired. "Will you stay with me tonight?"

His eyes softened a fraction. "Sure." Choji slowly leaned down, his lips pressing to mine sweetly. So warm. So sweet. He pulled me in tighter, deepening the kiss. When he pulled away, he made sure to keep me close. My head rested on his shoulder, his hair tickling my nose. There was a possessiveness in his hold tonight. I hadn't felt it before. But it was comforting. It said he was there for me, holding me up when I needed it, keeping my heart in one happy piece.

I love him so... I want to tell him. My mouth opened to confess my true feelings, but before I could get the first word out, Choji's voice whispered in my ear. "I love you Alsono."

Did... Did I just hear him right. My whole body tensed up and I moved to get a good look at his expression. Those eyes. Sweet brown like chocolate. There was so much love and affection in them. "You...?"

"I love you."

Yes. I heard him right! Choji said he loves me! My smile actually kind of hurt my face it was so wide. I dived right back into his arms, nuzzling his neck and shoulder. Warmth flooded my heart. Kisses were pressed liberally to faces as we reveled in our joy. "I love you Choji!" I pressed a deep and happy kiss to his lips, my hands holding his face. We didn't part until an extra voice broke the mood.

"Eww! In the kitchen? Gross!" Oh you little twerp... You better learn to sleep with one eye open. Ikuto made gagging noises as he walked to the refrigerator for a soda.

"I will end you personally." I threatened.

"Yeah, cause you're strong enough to do that."

"I cook all your food, little twerp." That one shut him up. The moment may have ended, but the euphoria was still alive and well. My smile was bright, and Choji kept looking over at me after he joined Ikuto at the table. I placed plates of brown curry and rice in front of them and returned to puttering around the kitchen. It was getting late.

I had a small plate of food myself, finally starting to feel tired for the first time in days. I could see the exhaustion on Choji's face as well. He was ready to drop, poor guy. Coming up behind him, I pressed a kiss to his cheek. "You can borrow the bath if you want. I'll meet you in my room when I finish cleaning up in here." He turned and nodded, stretching as he went. Ikuto Made kissy faces at me when I turned to clean up the plates. "Bed." He continued to snicker the whole way up the stairs.

Shaking my head, I carried the plates to the sink and began to clean up. The curry continued to simmer on the stove behind me. I wanted to add a few more things to it before packing it up for leftovers. Just as I was scraping in the vegetables, a voice called out from the front door. A very familiar voice. "Alsono?"

My feet slapped the wood as I ran to the door. My hands caught the door jam to the living room, stopping me. Standing there was the last person I ever expected to find. "Shikamaru?!"