Chapter 19

It has been two weeks since our trip to the beach. Everyday feels better than the last, and truly, I feel like I have yet to stop smiling. Ken and Tatsuki were both giving me weird looks at work, but I was just too happy to care! I kissed Choji! It finally happened! And everyday since I've gotten to see him and I get those sweet little pecks. It's like I'm living in a dream. There must be a cloud over my head from how hot my cheeks are.

There was a tap on the back of my head. "Jeez boss, what's up with you lately?" Tatsuki asked. He's one of the relief cooks who comes in often to help when we're busy. Good guy. Gay as sunshine, and not afraid to show it. "You've got 'the look' little lady."

He smirked at me while leaning on the counter. "What look is that?" I asked, playing along.

"The look of love~"

Ken scoffed at his place at the kitchen sink. "Her? In love? Yeah right?"

"And what, pre-tell, is wrong with that?"

"Al is way too serious for love."

I'm not a serious person... "Being a good boss does not make her an overly serious person, Ken. And besides, love is something everyone gets to experience, no matter how serious a person or not they may be. So, spill little lady."

I laughed a little. Tatsuki is adorable sometimes. "Okay, I've been dating someone for about a month now."

He squealed and clapped like he had just heard the gossip of the year. Ken on the other hand, dropped his rag in the water while giving me an incredulous look. "I knew it! What's he like? I bet he's the strong and handsome type that keeps you at arms length because he doesn't want you be hurt by his horrible family secret."

Ken and I both gave each other a look before slowly turning back to Tatsuki. "Bro, how many soap operas did you watch during your time off?"

"Seven seasons worth." Straight. Faced.

I snorted, one corner of my mouth quirking up. "Well, no, he's not quite that... dramatic? He's a normal guy."

Two tickets came in and we took our positions to get them filled. "Ken, new knife please. His name is Choji and actually we met here. He's a regular here."

"Ooooh! Maybe I've seen him then. Describe him." Tatsuki's eyes were sparkling.

"First, calm yourself. You are getting way too excited about all this."

"Girl, I've known you too long, this the first time you've had a REAL boyfriend. And I say that because the boy you kissed in first grade does not count."

Darn... I forgot I told him about that. Make a note. Vodka and your gay best friend do not end well... "Okay, have you seen a ninja in here with brown hair, swirls on his cheeks, and some meat on his bones? Usually in here with two other people?"

"Ooh, I know exactly who you are talking about. He is cu~te."

I laughed, trying to get the conversation to blow over. But it was my out time anyway. So I didn't have to try so hard. But Tatsuki continued to jeer me as I left the restaurant. Outside I let out a sigh and shook my head. As I walked home I thought about what I could do for dinner. I pulled out my phone to look at my messages, only to find my mom and dad won't be home tonight. Great.

So I texted Choji. 'making pot stickers tonight. Bring Ino and Shikamaru.' When I got home, I pestered my little brother for a bit before starting on the food. Ikuto ran through the kitchen with the rabbit to take him outside. Still cute. It wasn't much longer that Choji and them made it over. They sat at the table and I set the food down.

"So, what did you guys do today?"

"Well, we haven't had a mission in awhile, so we thought to do some social service." Ino said.

"Do what?"

"We talked to long term patients at the hospital today." Choji clarified.

(Tiny: *Looking back and forth, excitedly waiting for the fans to realize*)

"Well that sounds like fun." Shikamaru seemed very distracted, he didn't touch the pot stickers. "Shikamaru? You with us?"

"What? Yeah, sorry."

He still seemed distracted, but the rest of the night was mostly mindless chatter. I sat next to Choji, warm and happy. I didn't know their visit to the hospital was the start of a grand adventure filled with both joy and pain.