Chapter 10

"Oh my gosh, it's so cute!" I practically screamed as Ikuto handed me the bunny rabbit he had been hiding in his room. "Why would you ever think he would make me mad? Look at that chubby face, oh so fluffy." The poor creature is going to be squished a cuddled for a long time now.

"I was afraid to show him to you because when I take him outside he nibbles the crops. And I thought you would tell me to get rid of him to save the food."

"Ikuto." He flinched slightly at my tone. "How dare you think like that." My brother looked up slowly to me, cautious and waving. "Iku, your happiness means more to me than a few crops. Don't you know that? I would never tell you something like that." The look of wonder on his face was almost enough to make me want to crush him in a hug. "How about we build him a little enclosure in the back and we can feed him the veggies I don't use. That way we don't have to worry about him getting into something he shouldn't."

He hugged me tightly, but cautious of the rabbit. "I love you Alsono!"

"Like you didn't already, twerp?" We walked back downstairs to let the precious little thing outside. according to him, the rabbit is very tame and doesn't try to run away when put outside. Apparently, it's been eating in the garden for some time and was used to seeing Ikuto. So the first time he went up to it, it just let him pick it up. My brother looks so happy with the rabbit. We've never had a pet, so maybe it's something he's really always dreamed about.

I sat on the steps of the back porch and watched Ikuto play with the rabbit. But after a while, my mind began to wander. I have to tell Iku he's going to be on his own for dinner tomorrow. Initially, my plans only included going over to Choji's in the afternoon to meet his mom and then come back to make dinner for him. Our parents are gone a lot... But... our discussion from earlier flittered across my mind, making that warm feeling and a silly grin spread across my face.

Choji wasn't looking at me, and I was thankful. My face felt so hot it hurt. He basically just asked if I find his type attractive! Oh gods, blood travel elsewhere please! My hands clapped over my mouth and nose, trying to hide some of my embarrassment. But yet I felt... happy. In all reality, I really do like Choji. He's fun and sweet and so cute. To me... it doesn't matter that he's slightly larger than the next guy. He keeps me interested.

"You don't have to answer me right away. It's just... I've been thinking for awhile how much fun it is to spend time with you." He said, still avoiding looking at me. "I've always thought that you're beautiful, Alsono. Ever since I first saw you through the window at the restaurant. Meeting you and becoming friends and getting to know you... It feels like a dream. Because I never thought you would be such a wonderful person." Now he looked at me, his honesty and emotion spilling to every tiny pore of his expression. My heart has never beat so fast. "I really like you Alsono. And it would be nice of we could... go on a date or something."

He started fumbling, which was funny and loosened some of the tension I was feeling. But laughing is no-no. He just used a lot of courage to ask me out. This sweet man just asked me out and I can't stop the large smile and the undeniable joy that came with it. Choji looked amazed as he saw my, apparently unexpected, positive reaction. "I... would like that."

After that, we really did have much ability to say more than to get a place to go tomorrow when we're done with the visit at his place. But I'm still happy and warm as I think about it. I've never been on a date before.... Oh... I've never... been on a date before... I'VE NEVER BEEN ON A DATE BEFORE!

Panic began to set in as I realized I had no idea what to do on a date or what to wear or say. I ran back inside, much to my brothers confusion and pulled out my phone and a napkin Ino had written her number on earlier for me if I ever needed to talk. She answered on the fourth ring. "Yamanaka Resi-"

"Ino, heeeeeeelp!" I wailed, near tears.

After explaining the situation to her, it got real quiet, real fast. I looked at the phone to make sure the call hadn't dropped and called to her. "I'm trying to make sense of something. You're saying that Choji... My chip loving, awkward yet caring, secretly insecure about his weight teammate grew the balls to ask you out?"

"I can't tell if you're being mean or not. I feel like you're being mean."

"No, I'm talking him up the wall. Of course I'm being mean!" Not guilty. "This is really weird. But I feel for you, so I'll help you out. And then I'm going to call Shikamaru and make him choke on his tea." Wow this girl is abusive. But yet I get the strangest feeling she's actually very close to them both. Meaning she much know some of the things that Choji likes... right?