Final Chapter

They slept deeply and without interruption. Kirishima was the first to stir, the weight of something warm pushing against his chest. Eyes still closed, everything from the previous night came flooding back as he remembered where he was and everything that happened. His arms were draped around Ryuko protectively, her head underneath his chin, legs folded up into each other like a quilt pattern. Very slowly he untangled their limbs, gingerly easing up from the bed to avoiding waking up his girlfriend turned lover. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes he looked down at her sleeping silhouette under the sheets, serenity etched in her features. He tiptoed out of the bedroom and into the living room, grabbing the phone he set aside the previous night and walked into the bathroom.

Scrolling through his phone to check for any missed calls or messages something caught his eye. It took him a minute to read through the e-mail and register what all it said before running out of the bathroom - nearly tripping over Ghost in the process - and shaking Ryuko awake.

"Hey, hey wake up!" She jumped as his hands shook her shoulders a little too enthusiastically, eyes bleary from being awoken so suddenly.

"Wh-what?! What's wrong?" But the beaming smile on his face left her confused.

"I got it! I got the job!" he screetched. She was still confused.

She yawned, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and squinting at the bright sunlight coming in through the window. "What job?" His eyebrows knit together until he nearly slapped himself in the face.

"Oh shit, I never told you! OK so you know I've been applying to a bunch of places for a long time right?" he asked as she sleepily nodded in acknowledgment. "I sent one out a while back but then totally forgot about it and I got an e-mail this morning saying they'd like me to start training soon!" She was mostly awake now - even if it was by force - but his excitement transferred over as her hands came up to cup his cheeks.

"Eijiro that's great! But you still haven't said what the job is."

He groaned, too excited to realize he'd literally told her nothing. "Shit, sorry. I applied to the fire department. I want to help people if I can." The sleepy smile on her face fell a fraction, and it didn't go unnoticed. "What's wrong...? Do you not want me to take the job?" he asked, brows furrowed.

Ryuko shook her head, hair falling messily into her tired face. "No, no that's not it. I know you've been trying for a long time to move up, and I'm glad they're giving you a proper chance. It's just...it's dangerous, right? I don't want you to get hurt." She was concerned about his safety. Being a fire fighter could indeed be a dangerous job with very real health risks. Now the protection roles were reversed once, again. "If this is really what you wanna do I'm going to support you in whatever way I can...but you better come back everyday in one piece, I mean it." Her forehead rested against his, fingers tangling in his intense bedhead that - still - looked pretty good. "You'd be so good at helping people, you'll do great." A sigh of relief spread over him when he realized she was just nervous for his safety, but wasn't going to hold him back from this. It was a positive step forward, something that he was excited about. Things were finally starting to go his way.

"Thank you. I promise I'll be safe." He kissed her. "Thank you." He kissed her again, happiness spreading over him. "I love you." He pulled her back down into the bed and enveloped her in his arms. They made love once more, quicker but no less passionate and full of affection than the night before.

"We need to go...and get more condoms at this rate," she laughed, out of breath as she came down from the high of morning sex. His hands ghosted over her body, reveling in how soft her skin felt against his fingers.

"Can we get lunch first? My treat. Making you scream my name works up an appetite," he laughed out. Her hand snaked down to the dip in his pelvis where she'd found one of his ticklish spots. It wasn't a mistake that she brushed against his sensitive cock as he jerked away biting his lip. "No you don't!" He grabbed her around the waist and hoisted her up onto his shoulder as he stood up off the bed, her legs dangling in front as he walked to the bathroom, a hand firmly gripped on her ass to keep her from falling as she gasped. "An extra cold shower for you!"